Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also received a motorcycle for Christmas/Birthday from my husband! Oh, it's a 2008 Vulcan 500 :D

We have a local bike dealership in town, it's where we bought the Vulcan, so we also purchased my helmet, gloves, coat and chaps. However, I do not have riding boots, and I need some advice.

My friend tells me not to get boots that lace up, that I should get pull ons. I tried on lots of those today, and that's just not going to work. I cannot wear womens' boots as my foot is too short, high arch and high instep, so usually I go for boys' styles for non-dressy shoes . . . size 3.5.

I was told that the eyelets of the lace ups will scratch the bike when I use a foot to change gears or use the brake. Is this correct?

I have a few months to find something, because I need to take the Motorcycle Safety Course and it's not offered until spring, but any assistance in this would be great!

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,862 Posts
I've never heard of eyelets scratching a bike before. But then, I ride a sport touring bike. Lots of cruiser riders wear lace-up boots. In fact lots of them in the cruiser catalogs are lace-up.

I wear side-zip boots - Oxtar, but Oxtar has changed its name - don't know to what - a set of initials.

Mainly you'll want something with good ankle support and protection, a wear patch where the shift lever hits the book and padding in the ankle to protect you in case your foot gets caught under the bike in a fall. With the laces, just be careful not to get them caught on the break or shift levers.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
You need to find better informed friends. I wear a pair of lace up, over the ankle work boots, and have worn nothing else.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
I was with Russ for quite a while...rode with Carhartt work boots and they did the job just fine (even survived one lowside without any fuss). I now have a set of Sidi Way Rain Boots (which zip from the side)...but I'm not sure I like them any better. They look better, they have better feel, but they are unbelievably hot...they don't breathe at all (despite the Carhartt's being waterproof, they still breathe SOME).

Honestly, as a newbie, I think work boots are the way to go. They'll give you decent protection at low cost. Once you figure out what you want from a boot, you can take your time, and get the RIGHT boot for your riding.

Congrats on the bike!!!

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I also received a motorcycle for Christmas/Birthday from my husband! Oh, it's a 2008 Vulcan 500 :D

We have a local bike dealership in town, it's where we bought the Vulcan, so we also purchased my helmet, gloves, coat and chaps. However, I do not have riding boots, and I need some advice.

My friend tells me not to get boots that lace up, that I should get pull ons. I tried on lots of those today, and that's just not going to work. I cannot wear womens' boots as my foot is too short, high arch and high instep, so usually I go for boys' styles for non-dressy shoes . . . size 3.5.

I was told that the eyelets of the lace ups will scratch the bike when I use a foot to change gears or use the brake. Is this correct?

I have a few months to find something, because I need to take the Motorcycle Safety Course and it's not offered until spring, but any assistance in this would be great!
My wife swears by her Harley boots.

Seriously good stuff, I to have a mens pair.
Go check them out.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I had a hard time finding any local stores with boots to try on. I somehow have odd shaped feet and size seems to depend on the shoe, so no Internet purchases for me. After thinking about it, I headed over to the Harley dealership and tried on 6 pair of boots before I found the ones that fit me the best. They have a zipper on the inside and also lace up. The zipper means that the boots remove easier, but the laces allow a custom fit for my foot and calf. My only complaint with my boots is that I can't hike for long periods of time with them on, but they're RIDING boots right?!

Oh and as far as scratching anything . . . 22,000+ miles with no scratches (due to my boots)!

·
Registered
152 Posts
You'll love your 500 - spunky bike for her size!

I started out with a pair of leather hiking-style dark brown boots from Payless, cheap, because I didn't know what would work for me and didn't want to invest big bucks until I did. They turned out better than OK, had to be careful with the laces, but never any problems, gave adequate support while flatfooting, no scratching, and the sole stuck out enough to shift with the edge. For $35 after my AAA discount, couldn't go wrong.

After I figured out what I wanted, I found it in a Harley boot that I think has been discontinued, but you can still find new online, the El Paso. I didn't want a high boot, as I though they might feel too restrictive (I'm very short) and get too hot. This is the perfect height for me, and gives much better ankle support. And the heel adds just that little extra comfort at the traffic light stops.

I would recommend going cheap at first, because walking in a boot and riding in them are two very, very different things, and you really won't know what you want or don't want until you try a pair or two on the bike. Then get some good mink oil on them.

Good luck - you're gonna love it!

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
The only thing that might catch on a lace up boot is the lace itself I caught a loop of the tied protion of the lace on a footpeg and had to quickly tilt the bike in the other direction to keep from dropping it. But that was only once after a few years of wearing those boots. Many motorcycle specific boots have a strap that goes over the tied portion of the lace to keep that from happening. The pull on boots I have lace up first then all the laces are covered by the shin guard held in place by velcro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies! Because of the size of my foot, I have to look in children's, so today I found a hiking boot with thinsulate. Since they were only $20, if I don't like them after this year I'll move on. I will be given a pair of broken in but still usable Timberline hikers in a month or two, the 7 year old boy I babysit will be grown out of them!! And I found out there is a Harley store 80 miles from where I live, so that makes for an awesome road trip for my husband and I this summer.

By the way, hubby bought a Yamaha 650 Special to ride along with me :)

And I'll be checking in once in a while on this site!

·
guitar junkie
1,488 Posts
Personally, I think side zip boots are the best way to go. Easy on, easy off and still offer decent protection depending on the make of boot.
My wife has a pair and bought them from Screaming Eagle. They were around $120. in a size 5.
She has trouble finding any footwear that fits well, but your perfect boot is out there somewhere. Good luck with your search. And post a pic of your bike when you can. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
My girl got a pair of lace boots w/the side zipper....they are HD and were only $100 bucks....they fit her well and are very comfy. She's only on the pillion w/floorboards, but they wud work as a drivers boot.

I have never been a redwing fan (I like Georgia Boots as they are really waterproof, warm and comfy when I gotta walk on ballast to chaeck a train), but I found a pair of wings on the clearance rack that have worked well on the bike for me. None of the HD boots were comfy on my feet but my gal luvs hers. Just try a bunch on, you'll find something that works.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies! Because of the size of my foot, I have to look in children's, so today I found a hiking boot with thinsulate. Since they were only $20, if I don't like them after this year I'll move on. I will be given a pair of broken in but still usable Timberline hikers in a month or two, the 7 year old boy I babysit will be grown out of them!! And I found out there is a Harley store 80 miles from where I live, so that makes for an awesome road trip for my husband and I this summer.

By the way, hubby bought a Yamaha 650 Special to ride along with me :)

And I'll be checking in once in a while on this site!
Have fun and ride safe! BTW, pics are a good thing! :biggrin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
work boots!

I wear insulated 6 to 8 inch side work boots year round, & I have for nearly 25 years, I work as a butcher & need insulated boots to keep feet warm even in the summer, & I find they give good support for riding.

for laces, pull the loops long, then tie the loops several times, that way they wont get loose & cant get tangled into foot pegs, shifter, lever, or anything else.

Randy

·
Registered
59 Posts
My first boots will be a set of $25 "Stanley" brand work boots with a steel reinforced toe. I've had 'em for years and they're barely broken in. I'm hoping to pick up a set of Joe Rocket "Meteor" (I think that was the model) boots when I find a good price on them. List is $130. They aren't lace up, but have a nice latch across the front so they should feel like a lace-up.

My issue with lace-ups are that the laces like to get caught on the shifter, which is what happens when I ride my sport quads. It's very annoying.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I so appreciate all the advice here! I did get the kids shoes . . . here's my huge problem:
My foot is wide, high arch and high instep, and chopped off toes (not literally chopped off, just all the same length and short). So when I find a womans' size 5, it's still too long. And I've spent hours online just looking at the brands mentioned here (River Road, etc) to see what they have for sizes. Almost all of them start with a women's size 6 and men's 7.

So for non-dress shoes, I hit the children's department, they are made wide enough, and I can find one that allows my high instep/arch to fit through the neck, and lengthwise they are short enough. Most of the time I have to pull the insole out and put in one that gives me the high instep support I need for walking.

I'll stick with the kids boots I have for now, and maybe save my money to have some Whites made to fit :) My dad worked logging most of his life and my brother worked for Les Schwab and they both personally know the guy in town who builds steel toe Whites, so I know I'll get something perfect . . . but since they'll cost close to $300, I'll put that off for a bit.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,519 Posts
I so appreciate all the advice here! I did get the kids shoes . . . here's my huge problem:
My foot is wide, high arch and high instep, and chopped off toes (not literally chopped off, just all the same length and short). So when I find a womans' size 5, it's still too long. And I've spent hours online just looking at the brands mentioned here (River Road, etc) to see what they have for sizes. Almost all of them start with a women's size 6 and men's 7.

So for non-dress shoes, I hit the children's department, they are made wide enough, and I can find one that allows my high instep/arch to fit through the neck, and lengthwise they are short enough. Most of the time I have to pull the insole out and put in one that gives me the high instep support I need for walking.

I'll stick with the kids boots I have for now, and maybe save my money to have some Whites made to fit :) My dad worked logging most of his life and my brother worked for Les Schwab and they both personally know the guy in town who builds steel toe Whites, so I know I'll get something perfect . . . but since they'll cost close to $300, I'll put that off for a bit.
I have really high instep and archs to the point all boots and slip on shoes for that matter, make my feet go numb and have cause nerve damage to the nerve that runs down the top of the foot to the first two toes. I had to buy a Vamp streacher, which streachers the top of the foot. When I buy a new pair of boots I do not even wear them for a week or two until the streacher can do its thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
a quick mention, a soft leather hiking boot with a steel toe proved unreliable on a motorcycle as the steel toe cut through the top of the leather as it wasnt reinforced, if soft leather its best to get one without a steel toe, but if stiff leather the steel toe does fine for me

Randy

·
Registered
20,607 Posts
any kind of heavy duty boot will do. Ideally you'll need something with ankle support. Laces or zips are up to you, the more secure the fit, the less chance of it coming off.

Waterproofness is preferred, but even waterproof boots aren't always waterproof :lol:

I've got a great pair of black boots from WalMart, i actually have 2 pairs as the Paramedics cut through one pair as i was wearing them when in a car crash.
But they look like Police/Special Forces boots. Mid-calf length, waterproof, heavy duty leather, waterproof and very comfy.
I'm gonna buy some more when i'm in Vegas. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.