Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...only comes up once in a bike's life.

Which is better? Changing the "600 mile" oil at 450 miles or at 700+ (probably 725-750 miles).

We have a trip planned this Saturday (about 275 miles), and it is raining today and supposedly tomorrow.

Personally, I'm thinking longer.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
Change it now. I have bought two new bike and changed the oil after the first 50 miles. You can see the metal scheen in the oil which i want out because the first few miles is when most of this action takes place. I want it out so as to have reduced particles in the oil which is less wear on the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I didn't do mine until after 1000. 20,000 miles later and it still runs great. IMO, don't get too wrapped up over doing the services at the exact inerval specified. They need to be done but the bike isn't going to explode if you go over.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
on a 1600 v twin your proabale right ryan, i agree, i missed the bike type...those tighter tolerances, sport bikes may be more critical IMHO

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
on a 1600 v twin your proabale right ryan, i agree, i missed the bike type...those tighter tolerances, sport bikes may be more critical IMHO
I should clarify that the only experience I have is with my current bike. So don't take my opinion as gold. :lol: I just know that I haven't met the timeline for every service and at just now over 21,000 miles it has yet to explode. :lol:

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It stopped raining and the streets are drying. I think I'll take it in now and get it back tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

I do think, too, that the most shavings and slivers come off in the first 50 miles or so...probably even fewer than that.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Change it now, and change it again at 1000. First few oil changes are frequent and you will see lots of crap in the oil. Besides, you are probably using dino oil for the break in period anyway, and its cheap.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I wouldn't worry until 1000 miles too. Then after that every 3000 thou miles

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny story.

I took the bike in, and my old red/blk 900LT was parked near the entrance. When I walked in, the shop foreman said "You can ask this guy - it was his bike. He can answer all your questions."

Seems that the guy had test-rode it, and was making him mind up. I told him the the original gas tank was never vented and they replaced it, and that the ECU was recalled and replaced, and that I had never had a moment's problem with it after that. New rear tire 2000 miles ago, gas mileage highway/interstate, etc.

I'll find out tomorrow, but I think they sold my old bike. Somebody will have fun with it.

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
Funny story.

I took the bike in, and my old red/blk 900LT was parked near the entrance. When I walked in, the shop foreman said "You can ask this guy - it was his bike. He can answer all your questions."

Seems that the guy had test-rode it, and was making him mind up. I told him the the original gas tank was never vented and they replaced it, and that the ECU was recalled and replaced, and that I had never had a moment's problem with it after that. New rear tire 2000 miles ago, gas mileage highway/interstate, etc.

I'll find out tomorrow, but I think they sold my old bike. Somebody will have fun with it.
Great to see an old friend get a new home, hope he loves it as much as you did.:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts