Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group. Have been riding off and on for 12 years. Just today (to the chagrin of my wife) I brought home a new project. It's a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750t LTD. It's the twin model and I haven't found hardly any information on this bike. It's in rough shape, been in the sun for 10 years and has 12000+ miles. I have the title but the guy couldn't find the key, so there's the first expense. Chain is shot but the engine gives some kick when I kick it over. The seat pan is good but needs a cover. Nicks and scratches, the chrome isn't too bad. I'm wondering what I should do with it. The wife said 30 days. I'm thinking of parting it out, selling it outright, or spending ? to fix it. I know it needs a headlight, gas cap, chain, ignition switch with key, tires, brakes, and cables just for starters. Then the usual to get it started, battery, points, carb cleaning. I'm in the process of rebuilding another bike so the garage is a bit FULL. Any suggestions? Just how rare is this bike? Are the earlier or later model twins compatable?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello & welcome,

I don't know diddly about the rarity ( sp? ) or collectibility of a 1980 750 LTD, but I know plenty about p*ssing off the wife. I seriously suggest you don't :). Sounds like she's been understanding enough to allow the project you already have going, I wouldn't push my luck.

Unless the bike is truly a collectible, everything I've read about rebuilding old bikes, in fair or worse condition, indicates that it is generally not worth it ( no offense anyone, just what I've read ). I have just such a project in progress myself, but it's purely for the fun/love of doing it.

Anders

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Anders....you make some valid point!

It is about the fun/love of restoring an old ride and it does get expensive. I bought my neighbors 1981 Yamaha 650 that was in storage since 1985 and while it's in an overall good condition....it required replacing tires...chain & sprokets...carb work...valve adjustments...hoses...seals...etc. I got off cheap in my opinion but if this bike were in horrible condition as some describe their project bikes....I think I would have passed on it.

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
Hi mthtbd, welcome to the forum, and all the best to you with your twin. It would be a shame to part out a bike with so few miles on it. :(
A 1978 twin in mint condition with 26,000 miles just sold on eBay for $2,500.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4518035382&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
My own bike was evacuated from an advancing forest fire by the original owner after sitting in storage for 8 years with only 12,000 miles on it. It needed new tires, new battery, carb cleaning and synching, an oil and filter change,and a brake fluid change. I also installed a small inline fuel filter, changed the air filter, and adjusted the air pressure in the forks. So now, for a cost of about $650 I have a 1983 bike which has 16,000 miles on it, looks good, and runs like new :grin:
My wife was down on it too at first, but after she saw how much fun I was having with it she backed off and gradually accepted it as part of the family.
Tony - one of our newest members here has just restored a KZ750 twin and I'm sure he can tell you all about it if you private message or e-mail him.
Also, there is a very interesting web site devoted to the KZ750 twin on the following link:
http://www.lonesometwin.co.uk/

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
mrhtbd ,

Welcome to the forum. I have two vintage Kawi's..they were in much better shape than the one you have....I love them and wouldn't trade them for anything!!!!

whistle is right about the love....that is why we do it. If you look up on the web you will see that Vintage bikes are becoming more popular and their prices are going up.

People see our bikes and admire their classic look.

If you do decide to fix it up you will have a head turner :grin: and the satisfaction that you took the time to rescue a classic from the junk yard.

Heather

·
Registered
237 Posts
12000 miles is absolutely nothing for a modern engine. I have 30,000+ and do nothing but change the oil(when my trans gears arent shredded :-( )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mrthbd

Gee, wish my wife would give me 30 days, then it would be happy days are here...., and at my age, wives are easier to get than vintage bike parts(hell I got 3 friends who will give me there's).
Anyway, I just got a KZ750t LTD from the Denver area for $600, and only showing 6k mi. on the clock(still sitting on the original front tire, so it's maybe real), and in #2 condition.
Cleaned the carbs(2 hrs.) now I'll need to get float valves(real common on older Kawasaki's). Fixed the turn lamp switch(15 min.)and changed the oil and filter(3/4 hrs. & the filter is a messy job due to it's location), and adjusted the rear brake and tightened to spec. all the engine mounts(about 1/2 hr.). Then rebuilt the front forks(2.5 hrs.), got a new battery and flushed the tank and added new fuel lines with filters(1.3 hrs.).So where am I at: $100 for gas to get the bike from Denver(6.5 hrs. each way), battery @$45, 2 float valves @$27.50, fork seals & fork oil @$20, oil & filter @$20.00, fuel line & filters @$7, and I'm on the road.
So here's what I've found with the bike: runs great, but has really short gears, pulling well from 25 mph up in 5th gear. But it's really reving up there at 75 mph(like around 6k rpm) also due to the 16" rear wheel that stock, but I don't think that this bike was designed for interstates.
All in all, I really like this bike for around town riding, as it's very quick, handles well, good layed back cruiser style seating and handle bar position, and has that nice old twin cyl. sound and shake.
Now as you can see from the above that the money thing does not stop. And if you don't do your own work, the labor rate of the bike shops will really tic off your bride. And top #1 NADA book on this bike comes in at $1200, same in Vintage Motorcycles price guide. And a good rule of thumb, is that you can easily spend 3 times the top value of a vehicle in doing a full restoration, and most likely will.
Restoring a vintage motorcycle is a labor of love, and the satisfaction of riding a fine old motorcycle that you restored.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Restoring a vintage motorcycle is a labor of love, and the satisfaction of riding a fine old motorcycle that you restored

Thank you for saying that!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Thirty days until what? If I was going to proceed w it to see if it's a keeper, I would direct my focus on getting the engine running. Forget about the seat & the other stuff for now.
If he hasn't decided what to do by now I figure he's single. It's been almost 3 years guys. :tongue:

·
Registered
4 Posts
C'est la vie

Indeed....it's funny how someone will dig up an old thread and reply to it like it was just posted..8)
I felt that the best way to join this group, was to get there attention and see what kind of people were on here. Really sorry if I offened, or ticed any of you off. But now I know what to except, and I like it, and all the response. Sorry I picked so old a thread, but it was the only one available. And will someone else please explain the 30 day thing to the poor chap.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
His first post was on the 15th....his last post was two days later...we are left to imagine what may have befallen him...:shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts