Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
New to the group. Have been riding off and on for 12 years. Just today (to the chagrin of my wife) I brought home a new project. It's a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750t LTD. It's the twin model and I haven't found hardly any information on this bike. It's in rough shape, been in the sun for 10 years and has 12000+ miles. I have the title but the guy couldn't find the key, so there's the first expense. Chain is shot but the engine gives some kick when I kick it over. The seat pan is good but needs a cover. Nicks and scratches, the chrome isn't too bad. I'm wondering what I should do with it. The wife said 30 days. I'm thinking of parting it out, selling it outright, or spending ? to fix it. I know it needs a headlight, gas cap, chain, ignition switch with key, tires, brakes, and cables just for starters. Then the usual to get it started, battery, points, carb cleaning. I'm in the process of rebuilding another bike so the garage is a bit FULL. Any suggestions? Just how rare is this bike? Are the earlier or later model twins compatable?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
First off, we gotta come up with a better handle for ya! Typing "mrhtbd" is something else! LOL
Welcome to the forum! You'll enjoy it here!

I just got an 85' Kawi 700 LTD which is an inline four. Nice looking bike for sure as it was well cared for, but..... Finding a manual for this puppy has been a real pain. Got lots of work to do on it, but it's gonna pan out in the end!!!
Out of curiosity, why'd ya get this one? If it has no sentimentality is it going to be a money pit, or part of your enjoyable hobby? Guess that's for you to decide only.

Hope you stick around a while and enjoy our humor!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hello mthtbd and welcome!

It appears that a manual will be hard to come by....unless the previous owner gave you one?

Parts can also be a problem to find so you'll probably do best on eBay and search regularly if possible. If your a patient person and your wife changes her mind about you being able to keep it....and you can engineer some stuff yourself....you could probably get it going.....but it sounds like it's going to be quite the project. Parting it out may be your best option and then you can use that $$$ for other projects. :)

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
Hi mthtbd, welcome to the forum, and all the best to you with your twin. It would be a shame to part out a bike with so few miles:smile:
My bike was evacuated from an advancing forest fire by the original owner after sitting in storage for 8 years with only 12,000 miles on it. It needed new tires, new battery, carb cleaning and synching, an oil and filter change,and a brake fluid change. I also installed a small inline fuel filter, changed the air filter, and adjusted the air pressure in the forks.
My wife was down on it too at first, but after she saw how much fun I was having with it she backed off and gradually accepted it as part of the family :grin:
Tony - one of our newest members here has just restored a KZ750 twin and I'm sure he can tell you all about it if you private message or e-mail him.
Also, there is a very interesting web site devoted to the KZ750 twin on the following link:
http://www.lonesometwin.co.uk/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts