Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I am extremely new to motorcycles, have never even ridden one, but I now want to learn how. I know about all of the safety courses and gear neccesary when beginning to ride...and I am going to ease into riding, because I a m a very safety concious person and don't wanna be a statistic. Enough of that though...I am a tall, slim guy 6'5" 190lbs, and want a bike to commute on the highway to school and do some riding around town. the trip to school is 45 miles all open road with very little traffic if any. Here's the question am I too big/tall for a 250? I'm not worried about speed, because I like to baby my vehicles and don't push them hard at all, I just want a bike that will be safe, dependable and inexpensive to maintain and operate. Will I be too big for a 250 and will it suit my needs. thanks for the advice in advance

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You are probably too tall for a 250, but you should go and sit on one to see if you can fit. More than likely you should look for a suzuki katana 600, they are heavier bikes, but they fit people as tall as you and even taller in most cases.

·
Registered
380 Posts
He's not too tall... I'm 6'5 and I ride a 250 comfortably...

I can't crouch in a race position comfortably, but you shouldn't be doing that as a n00b anyways...

But naturally we can only give you advice and you will take your own actions.

The power to weight ratio is not a concern either... I weigh about 250... and it totes me around just fine. Unless you really need to go REALLY fast and have trouble controlling the bike (not recommended) I would buy the 250.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I'm almost too tall for my bike, but I guess it depends on how long your legs are. I also tuck frequently when I ride, more so because I'm usually railing a bit.

glad to know somebody that tall can ride a 250

·
Registered
380 Posts
Freakinout said:
I'm 6'2" and I'm almost too tall for my bike, but I guess it depends on how long your legs are. I also tuck frequently when I ride, more so because I'm usually railing a bit.

Really? How do you consider yourself "almost" too tall? I'm curious...

Maybe I am too tall for my bike and I just don't realize it. *shrugs*

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Aikata said:
Freakinout said:

Really? How do you consider yourself "almost" too tall? I'm curious...

Maybe I am too tall for my bike and I just don't realize it. *shrugs*
My knees barely fit underneath the lip on the gas tank, any taller in the shins and I'd not be comfortable on this ride, but I've seen taller ride the 500s without issue.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FIRST BIKE

bradgotti, FIrst of all...you are not to tall for a Ninja 250R...IF I was as tall as you are, I would get a windshield that is two inches taller and then consider having the seat shaved back, if you inseam is greater than 34". If you plan on having a passenger on the bike, very much then I would have to tell you that the Ninja 500R is the better of the two bikes. I'm a very stong person when it comes to telling people that the 250R is the best bike that they can spend their money on. Insurance is chaeper, maintenance is cheaper, fuel economy is greater, and if it gets dropped or in an accident or someone steals it it is less of a loss. The 500 is a great bike and if I wasn't such an idiot about pushig the 250R I would definately push the 500 over the 600's. The 250 bike doesn't begin to start talking to you till about 9,000 RPM which most people are afraid of and it continues to power up till about it's redline at 14,000 RPM. The 500 and larger bikes have a lower point of torque on the tach, and people feel more comfortable with that. Even with your height issue you may want to increase the windshield height to increase your fuel economy. The best advice that I can/will give you is to go through the MotorCycle Saftey Course, then get your lecense an then ride both bikes. Just like a car if they won't let you ride one don't buy one. set on it in the show room for a real long time. it sounds uncommon, but infact it is not if you are going to consider the bike and how comfortable it is after a couple of hours of riding. I push the 250R, and I personally think for your use you could survive on one. Chat with Aikata from Mesa, AZ. You can find him in the members list and then Personal Message him about his bike...and his size...I think that you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: FIRST BIKE

ZX-2R said:
Even with your height issue you may want to increase the windshield height to increase your fuel economy.
Totally stock '04 gives me 60mpg

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
It's a question of personal ergonomics, depends on how your height is distributed personaly I'm 6'2" ( and 240 lbs ) and I have a friend that's 6'5" yet I don't fit in his car because I have a long torso and average legs ( 32" inseam ) if I try and drive his car my head touches the roof and I can't reach the pedals.

So you would need to try different bikes on for size ( more precisely your needs ). Now even a smaller bike might be more comfortable for you than a larger one or could be adapted to your body. Visit the dealers and try them on and don't be afraid to ask if something could be modified to make the bike fit you better.

They don't make small bikes for small riders or big bikes for big riders some are just better suited to one or the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hieght to wieght to bike ratio

I just joined the group! 6 foot 340 lbs ( ex-bouncer, beer gut etc...) just bought a restored 1984 ZX900 for $1400.00. Does this alarm anyone (other than my wife!).....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rider / Bike Ratio

Newbie rider. taking classes in July. My concern, rather the concern of everyone I have told has been buying a 900 cc bike to start-out on. I thought with my wieght ( 340 lbs) and the age of the bike (1984) would make a great combo. I could not see myself on a 500 cc ( which seems to be the perferred bike of this group), and with a 900 I would not get bored and need to buy another bike!

The dealer said not to worry about the age, because this bike dont get old, they get wrecked!

Just looking others opinion!

PS - How do I get a learner's permit and what are their limitations?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LICENSE

Without a PROFILE filled in we can't give you the exact advice... IF you were in Kansas you would take a Motorcycle drivers test on paper and get a Permit. Then you would have time to practice befor you came back to do the practical/road test..then youwould go back and get your License changed and they would add an "M" endorsement to what you already had...getting your Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is not required, but the insurance companies USUALLY give you a break if you have it. From there you are free to go, but I would personally recommend the Advanced MSF riders course...it has a fee to it but it is worth every penny in what you learn/take away from the course. GO back and FIll in your PROFILE!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SIZE doesn't matter???

Don't take this wrong...but it's not the size of the ride...it's way you ride the size! You can destroy a 250 or a 1200 easily IF you can't ride. Learning to ride what you have properly and comfortably is the key! She's like a piece of you that must flow gracefully along not only the straightaway, interstates, the twisty windy roads, but in the crowded parkinglots where cars are larger so they just TAKE the advantage away from bikes. You have to learn not only to be courteous, but to allow people to be ignorant and just smile while you think, gee, I wish you were on a bike amnd I had a pickup to back up in front of you like that ...but all the while knowing that you are the larger man totaly in control and not losing it to someone either ignorant or stupid or just being obnoxious...it's a game that I constantly play. what ever the size of the bike it is not in command it's not getting bored, excited, or coing to cause an accident...it has limitations beyond those that most of us will never be on the edge of. so if you think the 900...1200 or 250 size doesn't matter...you need to rethink things and put them in proper order. I'd say that with your weight and size that perhaps the 250 may be to small for you, but if you could ride one you would absolutely love the way that it would handle. A 600 weighs less than you, but it would make you smile from ear to ear, and you wouldn't want to get off of it for a very long time. Tkae her out on a mountain road, obey the speed limits, enjoy the turns that almost make you drag the pegs with every lean...then pour on the throttle for a straight then hit the brake for the next series of windy road section, downshift...a 250, 500, 600,,,anything will do that for you and with you...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
ZX-2R has very good points, you can hurt yourself just as bad on any bike, but a 250 is a very very very good bike to learn on. It has more than enough power and can hit the twisties fairly well (lack of good 16" tires hurts it though) the 250 is much more forgiving than bigger bikes, same with the 500 or a katana 600 (as compared to a gixxer 600+). I wish I coulda started on a 250, but I did fine with the 500 and love it to death.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WELL SAID

Thanks Freakinout...I think that for a 2 cylinder bike that the 500R has it for this guy. He could get into trouble with ANY bike but the 500 Would be my suggestion (GEE, don't tell anyone I suggested anything but a 250, or my reputation is SHOT!) It is a grreat bike an and will maneuver, get up to speed in a hurry and has the bottom end torque that HE NEEDS for his weight. I'd still recommend a taller windscreen (a tour windscreen because of his height as well. The 250 is lacking the bottom end to get him started rolling...it would be tough on the clutch anyway, and the bike would be a little cramped...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hm... I still fail to see the "need" for bottom end torque unless you "need" to race down the road on a motorcycle. I agree that all the points are valid that both of you guys are making... excluding this need for torque and power. Since I have 60 pounds on this guy I should be whining and complaining that my poor gutless EX 250 doesn't have enough bottom end torque to get me moving off the line and everyone keeps honking because I move so slow.

I'd love to, but I'm a bad liar.

I'm not saying that the EX 500 is a bad bike. I'm just saying that choosing one motorcycle over another because it has more power and since you're a bigger person you obviously need a bigger bike is a bad idea.

If the EX 500 fits the rider better, then the EX 500 is the obvious choice. If the EX 250 fits the rider better, then it's possible that could be the better choice. Heck, I've read quite a few places that for taller riders like myself, should consider a dual sport bike since it sits higher off the ground. I'm not trying to offend anyone here I just feel that it's not a great idea to herd someone into something they haven't even touched.

But that's just my opinion... take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRUE!!!

AND BY THE WAY...I gave somebody your screen name "Aikata" to PM the other night because of his height issue. I told him that I would suggest a taller windshield because he has a taller torso than legs...and the windscreen would keep him more in the aerodynamic slipstream...I spent 35 minutes in the OZ Cycle Salvage yard and completely stripped ALL the parts and then some that I wanted to put on my bike. I was surprized how fast with three sockets and a couple of screwdrivers you could strip a bike. I was also surprized about pulling the screws from the hooks (4 of them) that you could get to the seat release so easily. IF I have a spare key made (ONCE I have two spare keys made these screws will get a serious coating of thread lock.)I pulled the rear fender seat, rear cowls tail light assy and hte turn signals come off with teh rear fender...the rear footpegs (also support the muffler) and hte other side has the Helmet lock...headlight side panels, and main fairing including the windshield...seeing the motor was absent there wsn't much left to the bike. I still will be looking for an aftermarket set of horns (or perhaps a set of Marine Horns) then paint and assembly...then pictures for everyone on the FORUM. Finally things are looking up...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Mixing apples and oranges here people, Comparing a 1984 900cc bike to a contemporary high output crotchrochet is not.

Don't have the details of the 84 but on newer bikes the power delivery is what makes these bikes so unsuited for a beginner, hair trigger controls. Would still prefer to see him on something smaller but he's not buying a modern 900cc Ninja.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts