Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just bought my first bike, an '02 Ninja ex250 streetfighter with 10k miles, and i figured I would join the forum to learn more about the bike.

Little background on me; I'm a student Ferris State University (Michigan) and majoring in Automotive Engineering Technology. I'm a newb to bikes (never even really rode bicycles when i was growing up, and the only other bike I've ridden is my buddy's Honda xr80 dirt bike, haha). I have mechanical background, however, this is the first carb'd vehicle i have owned, lol.

The bike is a little rough around the edges, which is fine by me since i'm learning to ride on this bike (and it has already taken 2 driveway tip-overs :cry: ). As you can see in the pics; it has a different headlight (no idea if it is aftermarket, or off a different bike, haha), no front plastic, no gauges, the tank is pretty beat and leaks a little from the side, and the mufflers are pretty dented up.

I just ordered the headlight/gauge cluster/fairing bracket, and i'm going to buy a instrument cluster so i can rig up the gauges. Anybody have some helpful hints on how the bracket attaches (to the frame?) and if/what needs to be cut? (since i'm not going to be using the stock headlight or putting the fairings back on)

After I feel more confident with riding it (and confident that i won't drop it, lol) i plan on getting a new tank (or bondoing up the one i have now), getting new mufflers (any links to a nice single exit for these bikes?), remove the under-tail plastic stuff, and repaint the bike (probably just flat black, but i'm not sure yet)

here are the other toys; my dad's '01 S2000 and my turbo '94 del Sol

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Welcome. Lots of EX250 riders here (sold mine last year), you'll have a great time getting to know everyone. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Lots of EX250 riders here (sold mine last year), you'll have a great time getting to know everyone. :D
yes, i've done lots of searches for random info, and have been pleased to find many ex250/500 riders here :)

Seems like the forum is very friendly, which is a nice change from most of the car forums i'm on, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great FAQ

Hey Im new to this site but I know of a great page for lots of info regarding working on your bike.. if your interested Go Here .. They have a GREAT FAQ and also very knowlegable people on doing whatever you want to thoes bikes..

I own a '94 250 w/about 8000 miles on it that i paid $1300 for (Delivered)

And as far as the headlight goes definitly not stock or aftermarket, but custom..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Im new to this site but I know of a great page for lots of info regarding working on your bike.. if your interested Go Here .. They have a GREAT FAQ and also very knowlegable people on doing whatever you want to thoes bikes..

I own a '94 250 w/about 8000 miles on it that i paid $1300 for (Delivered)

And as far as the headlight goes definitly not stock or aftermarket, but custom..
yea, i've lurked around on that site a bit for random info. I picked this beauty for $750 ;)

I like it! That bike looks sweet!
thanks man, i'm pretty happy with it aswell :)

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
that is definitely an original i've never seen a streetfighter 250. Very cool imo :)

oh and welcome to the best forum in web land :p

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi Danase, welcome to the forum. You should have started your own thread introducing yourself, you make get lost in this one. You can always go to the main lobby and say hi up there in the Official Welcome Thread.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks pretty good , you got the gauges all working?
I still need a speedo cable, but yes, all the gauges work ;)

that is definitely an original i've never seen a streetfighter 250. Very cool imo :)

oh and welcome to the best forum in web land :p
Thanks for the welcoming, and I'm also very happy with how the bike has turned out so far, I love having something that doesn't look like everything else on the road, but still looking pretty subtle... I would like to replace my beat-up mufflers tho, if the price was right, lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
sweet!

just got a 250 yesterday to goof around with, i was thinking about doing something almost exactly like this. cept i'll probably go with a set of dual buell headlights.

didya use the stock gauges? what did your headlight light come from? is there a wattage (?) range i can use on the 250 w/out overloading the charging system?

how did ya'll get the decals off?

thanks! more pics if ya got them!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sweet!

just got a 250 yesterday to goof around with, i was thinking about doing something almost exactly like this. cept i'll probably go with a set of dual buell headlights.

didya use the stock gauges? what did your headlight light come from? is there a wattage (?) range i can use on the 250 w/out overloading the charging system?

how did ya'll get the decals off?

thanks! more pics if ya got them!
I have no idea what the headlight it off of, i'm guessing it's just a cheap aftermarket piece tho.. Check the wattage of the stock bulb and make sure it is the same (or atleast close) to the rating of the different lights.

I'm also not sure if the previous owner took off the stickers, because I can see the outline of the stickers on the tank, lol. A hairdryer, plastic scraper, and Goo Gone should take the stickers off pretty easily...

Yea, I used the original gauges, they look a little out of place IMO, but they work well and were a cheap way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice!

what is the flyscreen from? (above the gauges and light)

or is that a modified stock gauge cluster?! ive just gotten this bike and havent taken off the fairings yet. is that what the gauge cluster looks like?

hey, did losing the fairing//wind shield make a big difference at highway speeds? its such a lightweight bike already i was worried it would get battered around w/out the fairings

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice!

what is the flyscreen from? (above the gauges and light)

or is that a modified stock gauge cluster?! ive just gotten this bike and havent taken off the fairings yet. is that what the gauge cluster looks like?

hey, did losing the fairing//wind shield make a big difference at highway speeds? its such a lightweight bike already i was worried it would get battered around w/out the fairings
The first pics in the thread are what it looked like when I bought it; It never HAD fairings, lol. I haven't been on the highway yet (and don't really plan to be), I'm sure it will get blown around a bit.

That is just what the top of the gauges look like, it's not a windscreen or anything...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts