Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm new at this motorcycle thing. i've never been on a bike before and i wanted to know if a Kawasaki 250 would be a good starter bike?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you fit comfortably on it yeah it is i am 5'11 175lbs. and it has more than enough power for me i have had it for 2 weeks and have put 1800 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Starter BIke

Ninja 250R, Let's just say that once you get yor bike broke in and you learn how to ride it you will have abike thatwill scream. The bike is designed to be run inbetween 8,000-14,000RPM, much like a race bike. Durring break in you will be restricted to 4,000RPM an this is okay, because it is important to get things to wear and break in properly especially when it comes to running high RPM's later whe you do have it broke in. Once you do have it to that point make sure that you have the money to the best tires that you can find for hte bike on it. These are the most important change that you will make, an dnot only does it affect yor bike your life could depend upon those two little postage stamp contact patches. I guess I should have everyone do what I am about to suggest. Take your bike and runn it over two pieces of pronter paper on solid concrete that is very smooth or perhaps on a tiled floor so that it virtually smooth as a piece of glass. take the front and rear tire contact patches and mount them on your wall with a picture of your bike or perhaps in a notebook that you should be keeping for every recorded thing that you do to your bike,,,even keeping records on gas mileage, and try different gas places to seee which formulated gas gives you the best mileage and performance...the contact patches should actually be on the wall next to a picture of your bike or a print out of your bike specs on your computer wall...as a constant reminder of "this is ALL I have for contact to the earth when I ride." Adding a complete exhaust system is something you may consider later and havig the carbs rejetted is a process that goes along with this change.
Is the Ninja 250R the right bike for a Starter bike? I believe that the bike is severly under-rated by 99% of our own Forum riders, because they do not believe that the bike should be ridden all the way to it's redline of 14,000RPM. I believe that if you break this bike in properly and keep accurate records and get things done by hte book that when you get it to that point nad you start running on 100% synthetic oil you will start increasing your RPM an dfind that from 8,000-13,500RPM, just short of the redline you will find a bike that is shear joy to ride. Hearing the harmony of the intake and exhaust as you slip through the gears in the power range the bike will sing to you...and you will feel and hear it singing "AHHHHHHHHH"...love it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Listen to ZX-2R he knows what hes talking about. you should also check out the older post if you havent done so, they have some good info on the 250.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What he said.

Seriously, the Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. Like ZX-2R said, it's also a great bike if you know how to give it what it wants. It's super cheap, has great looks and performance, an abundance of parts, and it's easy to sell if you change your mind. Who could ask for anything more?
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
5'11" bdropped

bedropped, get serious if you already havent and tell the forum how much your gas mileage increases when you install the taller windscreen! YOu guys want to see some sweet things happen this is just one of them. Should you weigh in excess (no numbers, please) sink the money into a 1 tooth less (-1) Countershaft sprocket...and should you do the right thing and get sticky tires for your 250R change the rear sprocket size at least (+3) that would be a larger sprocket on the rear and if you are really serious order the kit through either Beartooth Kawasaki or through mail order and get not only matching sprockets but a new chain to boot. You will be really happy, and you will then have extra sprockets and a chain...in a ziplock bag in the bottom of your toolbox or on your pegboard at home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have the stock windscreen still but i am getting about 50 miles to a gallon. i will be getting a bigger one soon though i go for long trips and the wind is killer. right now i have been trying to locate all the upgrade stuff but ever web site i check out they mostly say ex 500 and larger bikes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OPTIONS

Other aerodynamic options include the changing over to LED's flush mount compared to those dumb-bells hanging out there, getting the taller windshield to see how it works BEFORE the longer trips, getting a louder horn (FIAMM Freway Blasters (HI/LOW)), sticky tires, and even cutting part of your rear fender off...right now it is more of a drag chute. Check around for mirrors that mount further out...get a K&N airfilter and oil it properly, and once you have it broke in get the complete Exhaust system and muffler along with the rejetting kit. you will then have a bike that will munch on other bikes when you start using the 8,000-nearly 14,000RPM's that you will find to be VERY interesting once you experience this powerband.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts