Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd say hi first. HI :D
Anyway, I'm only new on this board, I've been riding for some years now.
Just never stopped by this place, because I don't have a Kawasaki. A certain lady friend of mine does, however and that's why I'm here.
I really could use some help resurrecting a '81 KZ 440 Ltd with belt drive.
This poor bike hasn't run for a couple of years and spent most of that time in the back yard until her ex decided to have a go at getting it running again. Completely repainted it, new oil, plugs, filters, various lines, ie standard procedure for such a project.
The problem is that the guy is so completely mechanically inept, the bike is in worse condition than before; The new paint is almost completely flaked off, the only places it hasn't is where the topcoat has bubbled up.
The new oil is contamined with gas, the air filter is covered in engine oil, the fuel lines are the wrong diameter, the lines from the tank to the carbs where the wrong way round, the jets and needles on both carbs are buggered and everything is covered in green oxide.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Anyway, I think I can still save this bike from the scrapyard and restore it to it's former glory, but, like I said I need some help. I can find the parts and stuff and do most of the work, but I can't find any info on carb and ignition adjustment. Haven't found a manual yet. Must be getting as rare as the bikes. :(
Apologies for the long post, guess I needed to vent a little.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MANUAL

Chat with Beartooth Kawasaki at 1-800-556-3098 and ask them if they can get you a Service manual for the bike, or check eBay if they don't. The Service manual will give you part numbers and specs that you need for all of those questions. IF not get back on and post it in Cruisers Section...it's a great bike...definately worth rebuilding right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may give Beartooth a call, but I'd rather find a suppler this side of the Atlantic. (I'm from the Netherlands) Thanks anyway.

BTW, Kawasaki has all the parts and numbers for all the bikes they ever made on their website, so I'm halfway there already. :)

And you're right, it's a great little bike. I'm not really into the cruiser thing, but I kinda like this one. Sorta reminds me of WWII fighter planes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts