Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Name is Craig and am one of those first time (1980's) Kawasaki riders (CSR 305, LTD 440, Ninja 600) that left the fold but am looking to return.
I race a GSXR600 but recently participated in a race on a 03 ZX6RR and absolutely loved the bike....
Until the motor blew :evil: (Picture below)
Still, the bike was probably overdue for a rebuild and hasn't deterred me from getting an 05 ZX6RR to campaign this year.
Are there any racers here that can report failures or has everyone experienced mechanical bliss? Any inputs will help the decision process.
Thanks!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
yeah, welcome. glad to have ya

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks..
I'll move the question to the sportbike section and see who is lurking there.

·
Registered
837 Posts
welcome solo...looks like somebodys overhaulin a race motor... :wink: welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome,

Must have been a cruddy feeling when you started to lose power and then realize you were smoking so bad!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Welcome

Happy to have you on the Forum. Some of the kids here haven't experienced the track yet, so having another racer on board will help to promote our safety and wearing of proper equipment and good things...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks and agree with the safety part.
I'm so safe I don't ride a supersport on the street. Can't control myself :oops: :lol:

That motor implosion was my first. Ironically, that picture was snapped about 30 seconds before I felt anything.
That circuit (Mine) has 4 more corners before the long straight.
It was on the straight, when I hit sixth, throttle wide open that I heard something odd, looked at the tach and saw the rpm's going backwards with the throttle still wide open :shock: :?

Strange feeling, indeed :lol:

The bike came from a race shop so there was more for them to worry about (reputation) than me.
Craig

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FEELING

I know the feeling sort of...I was racing in Hawaii, and I guess my plug was to hot instead of going colder...I was racing a 175 Kawasaki 2 stroke with about 9 other guys in my class and all of a sudden it just started slowing down...no compression...the plug was all aluminized...all lI needed was the cylinder cross hatched honed and stock piston and rings wristpin, clips......put back in...Really lucky...broke it in and was racing two weeks later..this time with a cooler plug!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Track Oahu

From 1973-1975, 3 years at Campbell Industrial Park, now it has the Dragstrip attached to it....same park as in the early 1990's...also ther from 1989-1992. The Kart Racing Track was really tight, but it was on the Naval Air Station--Barbers Point...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NICE!

NICE pictures, but the Track Queens (green over white) are hiding the Yamaha! HA! Great stuff. Wish I had pictures of the track in Hawaii to share. I had one of the Hanna Brothers pull up beside me several times on a back stretch, right after coming out of the Z turn and then wheelie away from me...Have to love the yamaha 250 Cafe bikes from the early 70's. My class was an intro class for two strokes 250cc and below for two strokes, street tires, no glass, turnsignals, no mirrors, but you had to hae street tires...Loved every heat that I ran. Even when the pesky Honda 250 Elsinores were on the track..., and NOT always spanking me! I had one other guy riding hte same Kawasaki 175 as me but I finally changed my gearing on the rear and walked away from him...making the one honda easier to beat as well. Love racing...but I'll have to refrain or I'll lose everything. I have Failed Back Syndrome since the back surgery. Loss of feeling in both legs and feet..even worse....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, you've been around the racing part of the sport a lot longer than I.
I wonder if racing was more accessible to the average back then than now.
There are many more track days and opportunities but the costs are high if you really want to "do it right"

Like most, I started on dirt bikes at a young age. Didn't really try my hand at road racing until a couple of years ago.

I'm fast enough (bottom 10% of the National riders) to maintain a tire, oil and free track day sponsor but not so fast to think I can get on many podiums with it. Not to mention, if I worked any harder at it, the fun lamp would probably go out!

Japan has a system that really supports guys at my level even if you don't get the cash the podium finishers do in the states.
Different system but I like the results and the atmosphere. Especially the much safer tracks!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Solo,

Welcome to the forum and back to Kawi riding. I don't know anything about racing, but as you can see by my signature I love classic 80's style bikes....

Hope to see you up here often

Heather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts