Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....

Those of you who had the unfortunate experience of ordering and never receiving a NeXL helmet didn't miss out on anything except their $160.

Last year, I bought a HeadTrip from Advanced Carbon Composites.
Very happy with it, but I should have ordered a L instead of a ML.
I gave it to my wife and picked up a $50 THH as a temporary until I could scrape together the $210 for another HeadTrip.

EVERYONE has always been raving about how light and how low-profile NeXL lids are, so when I found a merchant on eBay blowing out his remaining stock for $85, I figured "why not?"

It arrived today. The foam is very dense, the shell is very thin... weight? It's light. Not as light as the HeadTrip, but a bit lighter than the THH.

Now get this... the freaking thing is almost EXACTLY the same size as the THH, which is comparable to the Skid Lid. Minor "mushroom head" going on. Not happy. So that's $95 (with shipping) for the NeXL, $50 for the THH... I should have just put another HeadTrip on the plastic last spring :cry:

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
that sucks Rich.

My major concern with half helmets have been the mushroom head effect as i have an oblong head. I really love the looks of skid lids and bell's drifter but both have this effect on me. still havent found one that i care for as of yet.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I ordered a Scorpion exo, the same size as the one I was using, but it did not fit the same. I wonder if the ebay stuff is blems? I saw a dealer blowing out his old inventory, so I went with it. I won't order another helmet on line. I will pay the extra bucks and go to a local dealer.

D

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have to fault NeXL for this one.

A lot of people RAVED about them, but people also rave about how low-profile the SkidLid is.

The photos on the NeXL web site make it look to be MUCH lower profile... but given how the business went for the last couple of years, I would not doubt one bit that they posted photos of the non-DOT lid on the DOT side of the site.

And in fairness, it IS light, and it IS a very nice lid, it's just not as low a profile as the HeadTrip, which is what I expected it to be. Seems that NeXL went with a slightly thinner shell and thicker foam.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well....

Those of you who had the unfortunate experience of ordering and never receiving a NeXL helmet didn't miss out on anything except their $160.

Last year, I bought a HeadTrip from Advanced Carbon Composites.
Very happy with it, but I should have ordered a L instead of a ML.
I gave it to my wife and picked up a $50 THH as a temporary until I could scrape together the $210 for another HeadTrip.

EVERYONE has always been raving about how light and how low-profile NeXL lids are, so when I found a merchant on eBay blowing out his remaining stock for $85, I figured "why not?"

It arrived today. The foam is very dense, the shell is very thin... weight? It's light. Not as light as the HeadTrip, but a bit lighter than the THH.

Now get this... the freaking thing is almost EXACTLY the same size as the THH, which is comparable to the Skid Lid. Minor "mushroom head" going on. Not happy. So that's $95 (with shipping) for the NeXL, $50 for the THH... I should have just put another HeadTrip on the plastic last spring :cry:
Hey Rich, sorry to hear the helmet was not what you expected. As you know I was one of those people who lost out on a NexL order.....

Anyways, that is history and now my headtrip is on its way. BTW, you stated that you should have ordered a L instead of a ML.

1. the DOT helmets don't do a size "ML" - only S M L etc. It must be the Novelty helmet you are talking about??

2. My head measured 22 1/2" - a size M according to their DOT size chart. Do you think I should have gone with a L??

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Sorry to hear that Rich. When I started looking, my first choice was NeXL. Was ready to order and something told me not to do it. Kept looking and found ACC. Like you, have been extreamly pleased and will eventually order one for the wife. Mine is not DOT, will probably order the DOT for her. Expensive lesson, hope folk's appreciate you sharing the info!

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts
Ok this is too funny
I'm riding into work this morning and I said I need to look up a nice lightweight helmet to replace my old one
I found the Advanced Carbon Composites web site and low and behold they are located 10 minutes from the house in Orlando, FL
How cool is that, I called them and they said to come by as they have some new stuff and I will be able to try on different sizes to find the perfect fit.
I am thrilled and since Rich gave the thumbs up on these then I'm sold

thanks again Rich, you the man

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyways, that is history and now my headtrip is on its way. BTW, you stated that you should have ordered a L instead of a ML.

1. the DOT helmets don't do a size "ML" - only S M L etc. It must be the Novelty helmet you are talking about??

2. My head measured 22 1/2" - a size M according to their DOT size chart. Do you think I should have gone with a L??
Interesting... You are correct on the current line, but last year the S/M and M/L was available in both styles.

Wonder why they changed it?

The M/L did fit, but my head is slightly mishappen, so a "diameter" measurement ends up being off by around a half size because the left side of my head is a bit flatter than normal. For a normal person with a reasonably round head, the sizes are going to run true.

I wore it for about 6 months and it was fine, but my wife was complaining about the weight and wind loading on her Zox, and the HeadTrip fit her just fine with the thicker foam liner, so I gave it to her and bought a german novelty lid. A month later, the local cops started cracking down on pipes, and even though that's a "fixit", the helmet violation is $150 and they won't allow you to ride off without a DOT lid.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will! thanks

have to see if i can get an old school half helmet that is as low profile as your polo
ACCs are available in polo or straight half lid at the same price. For an extra $10, they'll throw a snap-on visor on the plain half lid.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Without the windshield, I honestly think I get more noise from the earflaps channeling air closer to my ear. With the windshield, doesn't matter.
The NeXL doesn't have them and it's fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts