Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am looking for a recomendation on a set of bags. I do want to hard mount them w/the ghost or easy brackets and do want a soft style.

These will go on an 05 1500 classic and i would like a set that is big enough to not look undersized...but also not bigger than to be practical....after all the most use will be for a weekend trip........what ya got?:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We have some Ameritex Futura bags on our 1500, with easy brackets. They are the 21" size, but that is misleading- they are really like a 17" slant bag. They are a little small looking on the 1500- I'd prefer the 24". Sorry, I don't have any decent pics of them on the bike. If you really want to see them I can try and get some shots later and post them.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be cool...and I appreciatte your insight on the sizing.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
I have the River Road Classic Slant Large on my 1500. They are 17 x 12 x 6 and I used the Easy Brackets. Will try to post a couple of pics to at least give you an idea of how the size looks and a view from the rear as well. Pics aren't very good but at least it will give you an idea...
Good luck,
Charles

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice bike, love the color......appreciatte photos....the large looks like a good fit...I was looking at the x-large and after seeing your bike I think the large is a better fit.

Even tho the 1500 is a large bike (IMO) the x=large would probably too big.

Are these river roads the zip offs? If so did you just take the yoke off and can u see any of the zipper? I am a neat freak and want a clean mount.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. Yes they're the zip offs and I just cut the yoke out at the top of the bag. I used a razor and cut it carefully and you really can't tell that they've been cut at all. If I were getting more bags I would probably opt for a more expensive set but these were the first bags I'd ever bought and wasn't sure enough about what I wanted to sink a lot of money into them. But I like the look and so far they've held up well. I really like the size but wouldn't care if they were a little larger but I'm like you, I think anything much larger would look too big.

Charles

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
I have the E-Z Brackets (picked over the ghost brackets due to quality) and I went with hard mount Auburn Leather Chubby Daytona Bags (no yoke). I got them from M&M Leather here locally and I am happy with them They are sturdy with the E-Z brackets and I have made a few trips to the grocery store since they were installed.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Those look nice SB

Willie & Max "Raptor" XL. In these photos, they're "thrown over" the fender and tied to supports, but I later switched to Easy Brackets
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/rtside1.jpg
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/ltside1.jpg

I later switched to Easy Brackets
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/1600now.jpg
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/apes/DSC00547.JPG
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/apes/DSC00548.JPG
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/apes/DSC00549.JPG

One caution with brackets. Even with the bags that are "hard lined", they are generally lined with corrugated plastic. It works pretty well and allows the bags to flex slightly if you need to "stuff" them, but they also tend to sag when mounted to brackets since the brackets are only about 8-10" long and they only support the bags in the middle.
I used a piece of 2"x1/8" aluminum strip stock and sandwiched the bags between the bracket on the outside and the strip on the inside at the top edge. This kept the bags from sagging.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Those look nice SB

One caution with brackets. Even with the bags that are "hard lined", they are generally lined with corrugated plastic. It works pretty well and allows the bags to flex slightly if you need to "stuff" them, but they also tend to sag when mounted to brackets since the brackets are only about 8-10" long and they only support the bags in the middle.
I used a piece of 2"x1/8" aluminum strip stock and sandwiched the bags between the bracket on the outside and the strip on the inside at the top edge. This kept the bags from sagging.
Thanks,

I have plexiglass and different types of fabric to cover the plexiglass if I need to strethen it from sagging in the future. I was good at making stereo systems for my show cars so I;m good to go if I ned to do any of that kind of work. I was thinking of lining the inside with some valore I have laying around to give it that sexy feel :lol:

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I have the Saddleman Jumbo Drifters mounted with EZ brackets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What did u guys do to get the easy brackets to work with the sissy bar? Is there an extra kit u have to purchase like the one for the ghost brackets?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
chuck, there isn't an extra kit for using easy brackets with a sissy bar, but it's a different kit that you order. I guess the fender bolts are a bit longer to accomodate the sissy bar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering about that! I was looking in the Phat Performance web site and with the ghost brackest they listed a seperate bolt kit for the brackets with a sissy bar, but did not list that with the EZ brackets. Can one of u guys with the sissy bar and EZ brackets post a pic of what yours look like with the brackets off so I can see what the docking pegs look like with the sissy bar?

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I was wondering about that! I was looking in the Phat Performance web site and with the ghost brackest they listed a seperate bolt kit for the brackets with a sissy bar, but did not list that with the EZ brackets. Can one of u guys with the sissy bar and EZ brackets post a pic of what yours look like with the brackets off so I can see what the docking pegs look like with the sissy bar?
Sorry that these are ghost brackets i used to own, but its very similar. Granted i had a sissy bar that was behind the fender rails but this still gives you a good idea of what it looks like.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
What did u guys do to get the easy brackets to work with the sissy bar? Is there an extra kit u have to purchase like the one for the ghost brackets?
The "kits" still don't seem quite right with the Cobra sissy bar rack.
I ended up getting spacers and longer bolts from a local hardware store.

ALSO.... When bolting the brackets to the bags, because of the bracket design, the upper bolts have to be installed head-out, meaning the threaded end of the bolts are inside the bag.
The instructions tell you to do all 4 bolts this way.

I turned the bottom bolts backwards so the heads were inside (after scratching my helmet). For the top bolts, either cut them flush with the nylock nuts, or trim them and use acorn nuts.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
chuck, there isn't an extra kit for using easy brackets with a sissy bar, but it's a different kit that you order. I guess the fender bolts are a bit longer to accomodate the sissy bar.
I called E-Z bracket direct when I ordered mine because I had the same question. They are doing away with the stardard bolt lenth shortly and making it a universal kit to work with or without the sissy bar.

This was one of the things that sold me over ghost brackets because GB wanted an extra 25 bucks for the "extension" kit.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I called E-Z bracket direct when I ordered mine because I had the same question. They are doing away with the stardard bolt lenth shortly and making it a universal kit to work with or without the sissy bar.
Careful though... While some fenders are drilled behind the strut cover bolts, some are not. If the bolt is too long and it contacts the fender, it'll crease the steel and crack the paint if you keep cranking.

SHOULD be easy enough to avoid, as there is close to an inch of material for it to thread into and a small amount of room between the strut and the fender itself, but it's something to be aware of.

If any doubts, I'd completely pull the strut covers and run the screws in to just before they make contact and measure how far the head is from the fender.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts

No kit needed. I just got some washers and shimed the front bolt to line up with the rear. Works fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts