Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my buddies has an old BSA in the back of his barn. I don't know much about it, except that its a twin and its a smaller...maybe between 200 and 400 cc, and it appears to be late '60s. (its been about 2 yrs since I've seen it). I might be able to get this bike for free, or close to it, and was curious if anyone here knew anything about the old BSA's? Did they make decent bikes? I know I'm not much help without knowing any specifics, but I know its complete, just hasn't been run in years... figured at worse it would be a project to keep my butt off the couch.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
single carb or duals? Single carb would be likely a Trophy 500. Very good find, very good! Electronic ignition is first mod, easiest and most important.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jump on it. I went to an auction in September & was surprised at how much the British bikes were going for. Even crappy looking incomplete bikes were going for more than a grand. Don't recall any twins that were less than 500cc but I wasn't into the British bikes so there's a real good chance I'm wrong.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
BSA is/was Birmingham Small Arms, a British manufacturer originally of rifles and possibly pistols.

They had quite a run of motorcycles, many people had either BSA's or Triumph twin engined bikes in the 60's and 70's.

I remember going to dirt track TT's seeing Royal Enfields(another arms manufacturer)Velocett's,BSA's and Triumphs mixing up it in the turns and jumps.

In this same period of time the Bultaco's,Hodaka's,and CZ's were popular for dirt racing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bsa made interesting bikes that went through a lot of little changes while keeping the base motorcycle stock. i thought that the smallest twin they sold was a 500cc unit. nice handling bike for the day. always had problems with leakage (modern silicone gaskets help with this) and electrics by the
Lord of Darkness , John Lucas, so there is always something fun to do. all in all if it was me and it was cheap, i would go for it if it was not seized. good luck and if you get it , send some pics. Teddo

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I lived in the UK from 72-75 and had a "bunch" of Brit bikes during that time, but I simply don't remember BSA selling a 500 twin.

Trophy was a Triumph, single cylinder IIRC.
500cc Triumph twins were the Daytona (twin carb) and Tiger (single carb), and I think a SpeedTwin.

I just can't recall any BSA twins smaller then the 650's during the sixties.
650cc BSA Lightning was twin carb, Thunderbolt was single carb.
There was a 650 Firebird Scrambler introduced around 1970.
500cc BSA Victor, and 441 Victor, also with other names (can't remember them right now), single cylinders.
250cc single, BSA Bantam I believe.

Just can't place any BSA twins less than 650 during the sixties though.

Edit:

Just had to do some research :)

Vintage BSA Motorcycle Photos & History

Pay dirt!!!

500cc twin made during the sixties by BSA, the Royal Star (and maybe a couple others), A50 models.

Birmingham Small Arms Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never seen one though, or maybe just never noticed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The old BSA will be a classic and lots of parts are available for quite reasonable prices. They can be made to look very nice and stylish for the period. You will need help from clubs and experts, altough they are unusually simple machines. I've got a 650 BSA Lightening that has been the family since about 1969. It still has the original tires, because no one has managed to ride it very far. I've rebuilt the engine twice for a failed main ball bearings, which should have been a higher load roller bearing on the drive side.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! My buddy is going to call the guy that actually have the title and see if he wants to part with it. Hopefully he doesn't want it. Either way, I'll swing by the barn and snap a few pics and post them. To be honest I saw the bike 3 yrs ago and just for 5 minutes. I only remember it was painted an army green color and had a silver BSA tank badge. I'm not sure if it has dual or single carbs... I'll get back to you all the day before thanksgiving :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
An army green BSA might be the M20 of WWII duty, a plodding old 500cc single. Or army green might be cheap paint broomed on to any BSA junker "improved" while in the care of enthusiactic adolescents. Such as I once was.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If its a 60's Gold Star DBD34 - jump all over it!
They are quite rare and worth quite a bit!

If you need any help getting spares - ask one of us living over this side of the pond (Godd Old Blighty!) and we may be able to track something down for you.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
If its a 60's Gold Star DBD34 - jump all over it!
Uh oh! Now you done it! You said the magic words!

BSA DB34 Gold Star 1956-1963, my ultimate dream bike :)

Ain't she gorgeous!!!!!!

Sorry for the super large pic, it's not that big on the wikipedia page it's linked from :(

The individual the butchered the Ariel Square Four in the background should be drawn and quartered.

The original pic was 800x600, but it turned into 2048xwhatever when linked. I downloaded the pic and resized it, uploaded to Google Picasa , then replaced the original pic link with a new one. Hope it works.

·
Registered
276 Posts
These Goldstars are wonderfully stylist and collectible. It seems unlikely that some one has a Goldie and fails to understand it value, but worth a look. I've rarely see a Goldie underway, even in a Classic ride at a show. Whenever a Goldie is on display I keep an eye on it just in case the owner decides to try and start it. I find it very amusing to witness the antics and high exercise of repeated leaping on a stiff kick starter with the engine in a null and completely inert state. I do love these classics.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,
I looked up the m20, and that looks much older than what I remember. I'll get a chance to see it next Wednesday and I'll take pictures of it. The guy that actually owns it used to work for my dad and isn't the brightest, so I am hoping he thinks its an old piece of junk and lets me have it. He dropped it off at my buddies house 2 or 3 yrs ago (when gas was $4+/gal), wanting him to get it running. My buddy had no interest in working on it, so its been sitting in his barn since. The owner has not mentioned a word about it, so I'm guessing he doesn't care about it too much.

Now, lets say that it just needs the usual work for a old bike thats been sitting... (tires, clean/rebuild carbs, oil/filter, battery, brake fluid change, comestic stuff) and that its not this "goldie" we speak of, what would be the top price anyone would pay? I know this is dependent on what model it is, but its about 6 hrs away from me right now... I was thinking of flipping him $50 and then going to $100.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Just for reference, a 60's BSA or Triumph 650 in a box will usually pull at least $1500

Some times you get lucky though :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, I got some pictures. A sticker says its a 1968 shooting star 441. I can't seem to find any stamps on the bike, but I only looked for a few moments. anyway, its pretty dirty and rusty, but the motor is free... now we'll just see what the guy that owns it wants for it. what do you guys think its worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks complete from the pictures. it will probably need a teardown and rebuild.
here is a link to ebay with one with a ton of pictures. i would proably only offer him a couple of hundred, not much more. when you start adding up the cost of resto, it can get expensive. a good one will cost $2500 or more, but then its ready to ride. Good luck, let us know what you do

.BSA : B 44:eBay Motors (item 330379769284 end time Nov-29-09 11:11:59 PST)

Teddo

1 - 20 of 48 Posts