Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the cost of my sanity!!! The hourly rate a cycle mechanic charges... and the money I thought I'd try to save myself installing my new windshield!

Four score and four hours later, I was ready to kill something!!!

Started off with my lack of mechanical equipment, which was forgivable I guess. 12mm and 14mm sockets - check, but are they DEEP SOCKETS? Ummm.... nope. Ran out and grabbed them, then returned. Undid the headlight and dangled it over the lightbar, then removed the riser bolts.

And hell then started.

It must be me, because I have read countless posts referenceing the 'ease of installation' of the mounting brackets. 'EASE' MY EYE!!! I'm trying to manipulate the plate that lies flush under the handlebar thingy onto the riser bolts, which for me is akin to fitting a square peg into a round hole! After forever of just getting that task done, now it's time to get the wire guide plate back into place, which proves no simpler than the first part. Dumb square pegs! Pull the part off, realign, push back on... no, it isn't going back on! Align again... still not aligned! JEEZ!!!

Ah... the piece de resistance - those two vertical plates that ultimately hold the windshield in place. That was the kicker. I've got to loosely attached to the mount under the headlight, the slide them into the holders on the horizontally mounted plate. Ummm... nope, nope, and nope!!! Those stupid plates just did not want to slide into place. By hour three, I am truly steamed, conteplating the toughness and wonderous versatility of Lucite. Would my new and shiny windshield float if I tossed it off the nearest bridge into the Bay? Would it shatter into a million pieces if I ran over it with my car? I hate this thing!!! :evil:

The ONLY reason I have a shield now in place on my Vulcan is because Charles, my wonderously mechanically-inclined riding buddy, was there. I was told... no, ORDERED to step back and have a smoke as he stepped in. Twenty minutes later, the brackets are in place. I just sat there with the most dumbfounded look on my face. I was all at once grateful for his efforts, and wanted to kill him for making it look so easy! :lol:

Waiting for the sun to come up before I post some after-installation pics. Just remember when you see them that I had nothing to do with it. ;) Have a hearty laugh at my ineptitude while you're at it.

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
Experience is a very fickle mistress

glad it worked out

·
Registered
12,874 Posts

I don't mean to laugh at your pain....but I just LOVE your stories!!!!!! I feel like I am right there with you!!!! I'm just glad your buddy was able to step in and make it right for you!!! I can't wait to see pictures now!!!!!!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Oh man. How many times have I seen that picture- wanting to heave the works of some project into the nearest scrap bin.

Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed, and you got it together!

I once heard a guy say that sometimes the difference between a good mechanic and a bad mechanic is a little bit of patience. Good advice, but it's hard to remember.

Snaps to Charles for saving the day.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Sometimes it takes two people to put things on. My headlight bucket is hanging off my bike at the moment, waiting for Darrell to come home. I ain't touching it!

And we found out last time it takes two people to put the windshield on, so don't feel alone!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had a difficult time getting the horizontal thingy on mine it is a tight squeeze unless you get some slack in the wires. But alls well that ends well and you will enjoy the new windscreen.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
to be fair...i'm not challenged when it comes to mechanical stuff. I'm not about to tear into a motor and do a ring job but when I installed the windshield on my 1500 classic (a kawi shield no less), i think i hit every curse word in the book two or three times at least.

It wasn't an easy job....i'm glad the V2k windshield was only 4 bolts and 15 minutes time

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I love working in my garage and tackle new things. But before then, I take at least a day to read more about what I am going to do. Having the right tools will make the job easier. Sometimes I reach a road block and couldn't figure out how to advance...the key to it is to take a break- grab something to eat or watch tv and get back to the project. It always works my way. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that you are all set on the install. :wink:

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah... I feel so much less stupid now! :biggrin: For the vets to and mechs to confirm that these things sometimes aren't easy... that just made my day. 8)

Anyhoo, here it is, my friends.

Sorry for the low quality, but this is from the work camera. Dragon and I are supposed to ride today, so I might get a better pic then.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Very nice! Good taste same screen I have. Only the clear or the black shaded went with my Caribbean Blue thought the shaded one might cut down on road glare and appear cleaner a bit longer.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Looks good, I like the dark tinted lower portion with the black bike.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Ah... I feel so much less stupid now! :biggrin: For the vets to and mechs to confirm that these things sometimes aren't easy... that just made my day. 8)

Anyhoo, here it is, my friends.

Sorry for the low quality, but this is from the work camera. Dragon and I are supposed to ride today, so I might get a better pic then.

looks good and BTW...when i installed the kawi lightbar to my 1500 classic, i read, reread and rereread the instructions to be sure i understood the task at hand and that was the stupidest set of directions ever printed by man!

no lies. I followed them step by step and when it came to attaching the groundwire? I had to undo and pull off the forktube covers because they added that little step 2 steps too late

yeah...curse words were a plenty

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
That's the cost of my sanity!!! The hourly rate a cycle mechanic charges... and the money I thought I'd try to save myself installing my new windshield!

Four score and four hours later, I was ready to kill something!!!

Started off with my lack of mechanical equipment, which was forgivable I guess. 12mm and 14mm sockets - check, but are they DEEP SOCKETS? Ummm.... nope. Ran out and grabbed them, then returned. Undid the headlight and dangled it over the lightbar, then removed the riser bolts.

And hell then started.

It must be me, because I have read countless posts referenceing the 'ease of installation' of the mounting brackets. 'EASE' MY EYE!!! I'm trying to manipulate the plate that lies flush under the handlebar thingy onto the riser bolts, which for me is akin to fitting a square peg into a round hole! After forever of just getting that task done, now it's time to get the wire guide plate back into place, which proves no simpler than the first part. Dumb square pegs! Pull the part off, realign, push back on... no, it isn't going back on! Align again... still not aligned! JEEZ!!!

Ah... the piece de resistance - those two vertical plates that ultimately hold the windshield in place. That was the kicker. I've got to loosely attached to the mount under the headlight, the slide them into the holders on the horizontally mounted plate. Ummm... nope, nope, and nope!!! Those stupid plates just did not want to slide into place. By hour three, I am truly steamed, conteplating the toughness and wonderous versatility of Lucite. Would my new and shiny windshield float if I tossed it off the nearest bridge into the Bay? Would it shatter into a million pieces if I ran over it with my car? I hate this thing!!! :evil:

The ONLY reason I have a shield now in place on my Vulcan is because Charles, my wonderously mechanically-inclined riding buddy, was there. I was told... no, ORDERED to step back and have a smoke as he stepped in. Twenty minutes later, the brackets are in place. I just sat there with the most dumbfounded look on my face. I was all at once grateful for his efforts, and wanted to kill him for making it look so easy! :lol:

Waiting for the sun to come up before I post some after-installation pics. Just remember when you see them that I had nothing to do with it. ;) Have a hearty laugh at my ineptitude while you're at it.
Some got it, some don't. :mrgreen: Mechanical additons can be a real PITA, especially for those of us who don't.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Slo Poke, that was a funny story, opps I mean that's too bad it was such a pain in the @ss. I have been there so I know most of the bad words too. Looks great and you will enjoy the ride so much more.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Alex that tinted screen is sweet.
I was thinkin' maybe when you get a chance you could outline what you guys had to do to make it work? Might save others some knucklebusting.

Looks sweet. enjoy your ride today!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You most likely neglected the Blood Sacrifice Ritual. A couple barked knuckles and some blood to appease the Mechanic Gods often makes the whole project move along easier. (Or you end up with holes in the wall from thrown tools.) :biggrin:

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alex that tinted screen is sweet.
I was thinkin' maybe when you get a chance you could outline what you guys had to do to make it work? Might save others some knucklebusting.
That's a good idea. If I remember correctly (I was plotting my shield's demise at the time, so my memory may not be up to task), the instructions call for LOOSENING the two circular clamps on the horizontally positioned mounting plate. Charles just outright removed them, slid each one into place on each vertical bracket, then reattached the clamps to the plate.

"It's so simple, a caveman can do it!!!" Can you hear me chambering a round right now? :biggrin:

For those who are about to attempt something mechanical on their bike for the first time, PATIENCE is very much the key!!! And let me know where you got yours so I can pick some up!!!!! :lol:

You most likely neglected the Blood Sacrifice Ritual. A couple barked knuckles and some blood to appease the Mechanic Gods often makes the whole project move along easier. (Or you end up with holes in the wall from thrown tools.) :biggrin:
LOL. The only reason I didn't bloody my hands up was because I was so wary of damaging the chrome surfaces. Everytime I felt my hand bang into a piece of metal, I pulled back. That likely explains a lot of why I couldn't get anything into the right position.

But I assure you, I definitely left some skin behind on that bike.

looks good and BTW...when i installed the kawi lightbar to my 1500 classic, i read, reread and rereread the instructions to be sure i understood the task at hand and that was the stupidest set of directions ever printed by man!

no lies. I followed them step by step and when it came to attaching the groundwire? I had to undo and pull off the forktube covers because they added that little step 2 steps too late

yeah...curse words were a plenty
Oh great!!! I'm contemplating a lightbar as the next addition to my bike. After reading that, it makes me want to leave that mod to a mechanic. ;)

Well... maybe. There was a sense of accomplishment (in a half-baked, half-witted kind of way) in at least trying to install my own bling. Charles told me that it was a good thing to at least try, and it only gets easier as experience grows (of course, my experience tells me to avoid trying such acts for the rest of my life). I do hope that, whatever my next add-on is, that I'm able to do it from start to finish.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Very funny! First time jobs take the longest. I'm sure you'll really appreciate having that sweet looking shield the first time you get caught in the rain. Keep trying. When you see red QUIT! Get a smoke and a cup of coffee and think of a ball game or something as totally unrelated. Go back and try again when you are calm and clear. P.S. It some times takes a 12 pack and a couple days.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hey it looks great Alex, or should I say Charles:mrgreen: You should have seen me trying to get the bolt off so I could install the Scootworks front pully. :eek: Kawasaki must have a 300 pound gorila that puts those things on at the factory, because you ain't getting it off without an air wrench. I gave up and scheduled it with my dealer.

D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts