Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the hurricanes finally settled down and life is back to normal here in Florida I brought out the bike for some maintenence. The clutch lever had been rattling a lot so I purchased a replacement perch and went ahead with the wrenching. Long story short, I got it all together and went for a test ride. Things seemed well so I parked it for the night. Next time I went to ride it, it stalls when I let out the clutch.

Clutch in, neutral, starter switch on, power...starts perfect.
Clutch out, neutral, idles just fine.
Clutch in, click down to first gear...fine.
Give it 3000rpm and let out the clutch...loses all power and stalls.
Next I give it 7000rpm, lean forward, and dump clutch...jumps forward 6 inches, loses all power and stalls.

So then I put it on a stand with the rear tire off the ground. No load, shouldnt have any trouble right?

Give it 3000rpm and let out clutch...loses all power and stalls.

WTF?!

I can't get the bike to accelerate from a stop. It just dies immediately. The bike starts, idles, and revs just fine. But as soon as I let out the clutch, it dies.

Any takers?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply. Actually I cut the switch off months ago because the casing was cracked (when i bought it) and it was dangling freely. I rode it for at least 2 months without the switch before this all happened.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so maybe bypass your clutch switch now or atleast check it. also double check that the wires on the kickstand switch havent worn thru or something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I should try to bypass the clutch switch...think I'll do any damage if I jump the wrong pins? There are 3 pins on the connector, not sure which is which. I have tried two different switches in it with the same results, however. I checked the end of the side stand safety switch, they're not touching. The wiring is threaded up through the engine area so I'll have to do some digging to determine where it comes out.

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could this problem, in any way, shape, or form be caused by the clutch cable being out of adjustment? I put it back to approximately where it was before I started taking things apart. The lever feel is excellent, the arm on the clutch casing moves smoothly...

I just don't know what else to look into

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it was, somehow, the clutch lever safety switch. I removed the mounting bolts so it wouldn't engage the lever but left it plugged-in. Sure enough everything worked perfect! So I pulled the switch off and opened it up again. It's nothing but some copper contacts and a spring. I don't understand how this can be 'bad'. So anyway I replaced the plunger with the broken one I had extra and everything works now (well, except the clutch lever safety switch or sidestand safety switch...heh). But it runs!

I'd like to figure this out before I try to sell it. I plan to offer to fix both these safety items for the next owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts