Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! i have a 1995 kawasaki ninja EX250. i am having problems with it idling. it starts up fine with the choke on, but quickly raises to around 6k RPM's but whenever i even touch the choke it stalls. i can twist the accelerator but if i hold it, it stalls. any suggestions?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
hi! i have a 1995 kawasaki ninja EX250. i am having problems with it idling. it starts up fine with the choke on, but quickly raises to around 6k RPM's but whenever i even touch the choke it stalls. i can twist the accelerator but if i hold it, it stalls. any suggestions?
plugged idle jet maybe.
Also any chance someone also turned the idle speed down ?

Not likely but possible.

It can never hurt to drop the carb float bowls and dump out any dirt and water to, its easy and free to do it yourself.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Well you could always take a reciprocating saw and cut them off. :eek: Just kidding. If the rubber boots that connect to the airbox have hardened, it makes the job much more difficult. With new boots it's not a bad job but can still be tight. Different bike than yours, but with mine I find it easier to remove the boot where it connects to the back of the carb by pulling back on the top edge of the boot then pressing it down below the mouth of the carb. Then the carbs can come back and upward enough to clear the manifolds. Then slide the rack out to one side. It might help if you try to heat and soften the boots up with a hair dryer before trying to remove the carbs. If your boots are hard then consider buying new ones and saving yourself a lot of headaches. And new soft boots seal to the carbs better than old hard ones and those type air leaks can affect performance as well as let it suck dust/dirt in. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i took my carbs apart and the jets were clogged and there was dirt in the carb. so i cleaned them but when i went to put it back together i realized that the float valve was now broke. so i have to get a new one, and i dont know if i should have taken the vacuum off but i did, and now i am having trouble trying to get it back on because it is really stretched out.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know how to choke it. i dont think that is the issue. i have to turn the choke all the way on for it to even start. but thats normal. but as soon as it starts up it instantly starts revving. but the throtle is not being twisted and it is not stuck. i cleaned the carbs out. the jets were clogged but not anymore. so i really dont know what the problem is, im gonna try messin wtih the idle screws and hopefully that helps.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
The idle climbing can mean that air is leaking into the carbs. I would check where you reinstalled them to make sure you are getting a good seal at the intake and exhaust side of the carburetors.

This helped me when I had a similar problem
Sounds like the carbs are out of sync or there is false air entering the engine - or both. THe latter is easy to check; spray WD40 (revs will drop) or starter fluid (revs will climb) around the inlet rubbers. If nothing changes, there should not be any false air entering.
You may also need to go back and adjust the float levels.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Js3810 is this a two stroke engine? If it is a blown cylinder base gasket . Or at least leaking. Also bad crankshaft seals will cause this. Of course make sure the throttle barrell is working correctly. Good luck. Stan
The 250 Ninja is a 4 stroke.

If it was a 2, it would hvae less problems, less weight, and way more power.

If they made it in a 2 stroke I would also be an owner of a 250 Ninja.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if it is a four stroke then it's in your throttle barrell not going down. Check for free travel in throttle cable. The throttle should move a very small amount before you feel the additional force of raising the barrell. Look for binding cable, cable that is not seated in their sockets, out of adjustment(no free travel), or the throttle barrell itself. That's the only thing I know of on a four stroke that will cause high idle. Stan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ended up just taking it to a shop. they are gonna clean the carbs and the gas tank. but if thats not the problem then i dont owe them anything so i think they could atleast diagnose the problem. ill let you guys know what happens

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i just got the bike back today. still doesnt run right. but atleast it idles normal now. it will idle around 2000 rpm's but i can only get the choke about half off before it dies. i am going to let it run with the choke on for a while tomorrow and see if it just needs a little more time to warm up. ill let you guys know if it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok well i had my carbs on my wifes bike done it was great for 2 weeks then it started to rev high and stall i replaced the idle jets from 38 to 40mm still the same replaced plugs found the left side is ok right side is white and lean not enough fuel tried everythig and even sprayd with carb cleaner no vaccum leaks anywhere now what???i ajusted the low speed idle screws does not change anything

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.