Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put pods filters on my bike. Ran fine before the pods. I have tried a 105 107.5 110 jets and it doesn't change at all. I still get this mid throttle spudder, hesitation, miss. I have tried shimming the needle up and down, but it still doesn't help. What can this be? I have invested TONS of time trying to fix this. I am lost. I was thinking about trying the pilot jet. I am thinking thats what it is. Because when i raise the needle the problem gets slightly better. When I change main jets it makes no differance at all. So I know its not that. When I take all the shims off the needles it gets real bad to the point where you can't even drive it. With no shims it bogs when I hit the gas and wont even rev for a few moments and then it starts to rev fine. 1-2 shims it doesn't bog but it hesitates,surges,misses REAL BAD under less the 3/4 throttle. 3-5 Shims it still has the part throttle miss but its not quite as bad. It doesn't change with any diff size main jet. As I put shims in it starts to go away to a point then doesn't get any better from 3-5 shims. So I figure its got to be the pilot jet. If the pilot jet doesn't fix it then the last hope I have is getting another needle. Which if it gets to this point i will have to take it to a shop. Which I seriously can not afford right now. I have been working on this for HOURS and HOURS. It just wont work. Hopefully this pilot jet will fix it. Anyone have any ideas on which size pilot jet to use? Has anyone had to change a pilot jet from just adding POD FILTERS?

·
Registered
456 Posts
A friend of mine has K&N pods on his 250R, and a Dynojet kit. He just changed his jets last night because of the cold weather. He also mentioned that a lot of people get that mid RPM hesitation when they put on pods. If I remember correctly, he said that someone calculated that 108 is supposed to be perfect for K&N pods and stock exhaust. He has a Muzzy header, and a single exhaust off a bigger bike. I think he usually uses 105 or 110. I didn't know you could get 107.5.

I'm trying to remember what he has on his needles. He probably has the adjustable shims, but I might be wrong on that. Some people go the cheap route and stack on #4 washers instead.

I'm not an expert on this stuff. I know that the pods give you more air flow, so you need to put in bigger jets to compensate. I think the stock jets are 98 if I remember correctly.

QKENUF4U or someone else might jump in here with some tips for you. A board which has a lot of information, probably including exactly what you need, is http://www.ninja250.net . Take a look at their FAQ's and do a search through the forum. I'll bet you'll find lots of discussion on EXACTLY your problem.

Did you have to trim the pods so they could sit so close to each other?
Curt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pod filters fit on fine, no trimming needed. I tried using that board, but they didn't want to help. Most of the help I got was this," READ THE FAQ or go buy a book or stop being a lazy ******* and do your own research". It's annouying. So I thought I would see how you guys can help. I have 105s in it now which is what it comes with stock.It seems to run better with a smaller main jet. With the 110s it ran kind of soggie. Runs perfect 3/4 throttle to full throttle with the 105s. It only has a ever so slight miss hesistation studder at idle - 1/2 throttle at a cruise. Tommorrow I will find out prices on pilot jets.
Shawn :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
IloveCARBS said:
Most of the help I got was this," READ THE FAQ or go buy a book or stop being a lazy ******* and do your own research". It's annouying.
Yeah, that's what I don't like about that board. They have a lot of information, but they're not very nice. I hope you get things figured out, since I'm no carb expert.
Curt

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
are you using a aftermarket jet kit ?
or
are you using stock NEEDLES with some bigger mains ??????
if your using a JET KIT (dynojet/factory pro) then call them and ask for their advice.
if you using a stock needle then i would bet thats the biggest problem. esp. if you using that many shims (which is NOT good)
as for the pilot jets, i doubt youll need them. you need to find the plug over your air/fuel screw and pull it out. then you can set it to the JET KIT spec.
if your not using a JET KIT then you can set them at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated, then once you get it running you can do final adjustment. rev the bike and watch the RPMS, if they return NORMAL then your in the neighborhood of correct turns out (may even be a bit rich) if the RPM's HANG and return slowly then your LEAN and need to turn the screws out an 1/8 turn at a time till the RPMS return normal.
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts