Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi everybody! I just bought a Ninja 250. It has about 460 miles on it. It sat around for about a year. The owner did not properly store it and therefore there was rust in the gas tank. So... It is now in the shop having the carbs cleaned and the gas tank lined. What else do I need to do before riding? Plugs and chain? Change the oil? I still need to "break-in" the bike, right? Please give me any other tips for my situtation! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dump the following:
1. Oil and oil filter
2. Coolant
3. Brake fluid
4. Clutch fluid

Since its only been a year - check the tires to make sure you don't have tire rot.

Chain should be ok unless it is rusted - have the dealer lube it.

Oil or grease the cables.

Plugs are cheap - inspect and change as needed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thoroughly check the tires for any cracks on the sidewalls. You're probably fine, but do it anyway since it's so important. Change them if you find any cracks. Change the oil and filter. Clean and line the fuel tank, and install a fuel filter. Change the spark plugs if they don't look good. Clean or change the air filter. Clean and adjust the carbs, and adjust the idle speed. Lubricate and adjust the chain. Check all the lights.

When you have time, you can do the other things, like lubricating the cables and changing the fluids.

And get yourself a manual (from Beartooth or your dealer or http://www.buykawasaki.com), then do all the regular maintenance. Your bike will thank you.
Curt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts