Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am close to buying an '03 with 14K miles for 1,600. In regards to the mileage is there any maintenance I should ask the owner that was done? For instance I heard that there is a big maintenance job that needs to be done at 15k miles. Let me know

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Just the oil changes. Once you reach 15,000 the valves need to be checked/adjusted and that will cost a few $$$ if the dealer does it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most likely the valves have never been adjusted, unless the seller can show you proof it's been done. Otherwise get it valves adjusted asap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If they're "normal" valves you can adjust them yourself. If they're shim over bucket, the dealer will probably have to do it, but if you're willing, you can at least check them yourself to know if they need adjusting.

The hardest part of the adjustment is just getting to the top of the motor. It'll usually mean pulling off the fairings and the gas tank. Then just take the valve covers off. With the bike in 1st gear on a workstand, you can rotate the tire to find "close to TDC" (I can explain that later if this is something you want to do), and then with a feeler gauge, check the clearance.

Rob

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Honestly, I'd eat the cost and have the shop do it. The reason is, they can check everything else while it's there and correct anything you might have missed. They also have all the tools to make sure the bike is well in tune. Once you're sure you're starting out with everything right, you can get into do your own maintenance. You'll have the chance to start out with basic tasks (oil changes, etc.) and work up to the harder stuff with help from a maintenance manual, rather than jumping right into something that requires you to crack open the engine.

Unlike with a new bike, you just really have no way of knowing what might be brewing in there that has been ignored.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I paid $1000 for mine with less miles but I think I got lucky since the guy had just bought a 600r.... like what was told to me before I bought mine If the bike is mechanically sound then buy it.....clean title, not abused etc....

Dont know where you live but spring is coming in a few weeks buy me so the bikes u could of gotten cheaper in the winter will go up considering the demand for bikes goes up when the weather gets nice.....

Maybe u could get someone that has experiance with bikes go with u before u purchase it as cheap bikes sometimes have dark secrets waiting to be exposed just my 2 cents :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts