Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

2141 - 2160 of 2403 Posts

·
Ninja500 Xpert
140 Posts
Yeah agreed, you don't need a reverse to push a sportbike backwards. Unless you're only like 5 feet tall, then I suggest getting off the bike and pulling it backwards by the bars. Just be careful not to tip it over!

·
Registered
545 Posts
At least it has a fuel gauge. I always pay attention how many times I have shifted and always downshift to first gear while coming to a stop. I hardly ever get out of 3rd gear around town.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wonder if there is an aftermarket part that will keep track of that. anyone know where to get aftermarket parts? (to keep myself entertained) I dont think I will ever have the knowledge to work on a bike or add aftermarket, but different parts should give me an idea of how it works and the function of each part. (like what those round rubber things on the front and back do)
Try TwistedThrottle.com - I've never ordered anything myself but I've heard a lot of guys say its a good site. And yes, you can get an aftermarket gear indicator.

·
Registered
306 Posts
wonder if there is an aftermarket part that will keep track of that. anyone know where to get aftermarket parts? (to keep myself entertained) I dont think I will ever have the knowledge to work on a bike or add aftermarket, but different parts should give me an idea of how it works and the function of each part. (like what those round rubber things on the front and back do)
Just a suggestion but just put some miles on the bike first. I think that once you get a couple hundred under your belt on that bike. You may find that knowing what gear your in is much easier and second nature than your making it out to be. I was slightly concerned with this myself and found that you soon will know without thinking what gear your in. And if you find yourself in 4th and thought you were in 3rd so what you won't stall. Drop a gear and get yanked back a bit. No big.
Just my suggestion. btw the easiest remedy is knowing you rpms so you know if you have passing potential or you have to drop a gear or two.
Downshift an engine brake during normal driving that will also help familurize yourself with the bikes general characteristics in each gear.
IMO the last thing we new riders need to be doing is paying attention to anything on the gauge pod.

·
Iamjustifyd
405 Posts
I've ordered from twisted throttle before. Good service, prices were pretty good and shipping was on time. You do get used to the gears and knowing which one to be in....or at least an educated guess:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its true, once I got used to the gears I could always tell by checking my RPM vs speed and I knew which gear I was in. A gear indicator isn't needed, but I bet once you have one its nice to have. I never missed having a fuel gauge on my Nighthawk, but now that I had one on my Strom I always want one in the future.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hehe, I just keep clicking up till it won't go anymore! :mrgreen:

Actually when I took the rider safety class they said something similar to that. Just pull your clutch and see if you have another gear to go. You'll know when it clicks or dosen't click.

Honestly, I think I only care about 1st and 2nd gear the most since they are below and above my neutral. Once I'm in gear I'm happy the rest of the way.

·
Ninja500 Xpert
140 Posts
Its true, once I got used to the gears I could always tell by checking my RPM vs speed and I knew which gear I was in. A gear indicator isn't needed, but I bet once you have one its nice to have. I never missed having a fuel gauge on my Nighthawk, but now that I had one on my Strom I always want one in the future.
Yeah I would much rather have a fuel gauge, or "low fuel" indicator that a gear indicator. I have ran outta gas twice with my first bike, and was quite embarrassing. One other time I ran outta gas, but my reserve was able to get me to a nearby station:p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah I would much rather have a fuel gauge, or "low fuel" indicator that a gear indicator. I have ran outta gas twice with my first bike, and was quite embarrassing. One other time I ran outta gas, but my reserve was able to get me to a nearby station:p
This has happened to me once also, thank God for the reserve. Ever since then I always reset my tripometer, since I don't have a fuel gauge either, and when I get to about 170 miles it's time to stop for gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, I just managed to lose a return spring or summat off my 500's kickstand. When I look at it, though, I can't see and pegs or holes that a spring would even hook to.
It'll be a couple days before the bike shop opens, in the meantime I'm using a bungee cord to hold up the kickstand... what part am I looking for to keep the kickstand up (i.e. what return spring part does the 500 use) and how do I go about installing it?

Thanks for any info/pics...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah I remember when the return spring on my kickstand pop'ed off and of course the safety engine cut off had me stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Luckly the spring was still hanging there. A random person driving by in a pickup truck saw me stuck and offered me some help. The spring is really tight and hard to pull to get it back on the peg it connects to. It took the both of us with a pair of pliars to get it back on.

I readjusted the hook that connects to the peg and never had that happen again since. I think aside from having to pick the bike up off the floor, connecting the spring is the second hardest thing to do as far is strength is concerned. :)

Hope that never happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, the spring rocketed off somewhere, and it was nighttime so there's no hope of finding it... so basically I just had to order a replacement, they said it'll be like a week. So, in the meantime I'm using a bungee cord to keep it up while I ride. Something of a hassle, that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well after that happened to me I took the bike back home I used my own set of pliars to make the part of the spring that connects to the peg on the stand a bit tighter. It has a "U-shape" on the part that connects to the peg on the kickstand. Using the pilars I made the open part of the "U", less open. I have not had a problem with it since, but I alway check it now when I'm done riding to make sure it's not coming off. It's far too much of a hassle to not do something so simple as to take a look every time after a ride. 8)

·
1989 Ninja 500 "Myztic"
910 Posts
It's always the little things that can cause a big pain in the you know what. So far I haven't had any problems with mine, but I'm sure I'll be checking it now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What the heck is that?

on the bottom of the foot pegs some little rubber coated stick thing keeps catching my pants legs. just what the heck is that thing? and how to take it off?

2141 - 2160 of 2403 Posts