Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
2361 - 2380 of 2404 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi, im new to the forums. Looking at buying a kawasaki ninja 250r black 2008. It needs fixing up though :/ Does anyone know where i can get cheap parts to replace, the left handle bar?, All indicators, and back mudguard?

I asked at a local dealer and it came to over £300!
Ok, I sourced the parts myself and it came out a lot cheaper. £240 this included the MOT, labour and me getting the parts. Win :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys new to the forum and to motorcycles.....I have a friend that has an 07 250 just sitting in his garage...He says that it was laid down and now it won't get out of 1st gear, it was laid down on the left side...I was wondering if you guys would say that its worth to buy and fix up and how much I should offer them? And what could possibly be wrong as to why it doesn't get out of 1st.

· Registered
1,502 Posts
Id start with not buying from a friend....that usually leads to bad things if the bike doesnt work out like yo uexpect

Another thing that could be causing the bike not to shift is a damaged shifter(on left side of bike). I had a slow drop on the left side and it caused the shift to move in a little bit, but not enoguh to affect driveability. I'd look at the shifter because if the cable is kinked or brokem/damaged that would cause a failure to shift. Not quite sure on a price though. I know just shift assembly on a 08 new is like 80 dollars...

· Registered
4 Posts
Id start with not buying from a friend....that usually leads to bad things if the bike doesnt work out like yo uexpect

Another thing that could be causing the bike not to shift is a damaged shifter(on left side of bike). I had a slow drop on the left side and it caused the shift to move in a little bit, but not enoguh to affect driveability. I'd look at the shifter because if the cable is kinked or brokem/damaged that would cause a failure to shift. Not quite sure on a price though. I know just shift assembly on a 08 new is like 80 dollars...

Thanks for such a quick response.....Im going to have it all checked out before anything happens....I will make sure and take a look at the shifter.....Like I said I'm new to motorcycle but I believe the shifters are usually facing forward, right? when I was looking at the this one the shifter is facing back (as if you would use your heal to shift) is that normal on these 250s?

· Registered
1,502 Posts
I know on the newer 250s(08+) its on the left side(like ALL motorcycles except a few) and its a tab that sticks out about 2.5-3.5 inches from the foot peg. Should be a bar that pivots near the foot peg. The lever stretches out and then takes a sharp 90 to the left so you can comfortable get your toes under it while resting foot on the peg.

I'm assuming it will be scratched and bent in a little bit. I cant post a picture...but here is a link to what one will look like
Shifter

If the shifter is bent in and the tube is damaged, could be a cheap fix. I would assume this is the problem. It should just look like you'd expect....bent inward. If you get real good look at the bike take lots of pictures and post them up

· Registered
1,502 Posts
It should be closer to the front wheel then the rear wheel in relation to the foot peg...because when your sitting on it, your toe should fit underneath it.

Soem cruisers/tour bikes have a heel-toe shifter where you downshift by pushing down on front. The back is pushed down to shift into a higher gear. But that really only works with floorboards...sports bikes use pegs. If its behind the peg, you have serious problems lol

· Registered
1,502 Posts
Brace Yourself
A millon opinions are coming!

PS but on a sidenote, any fully synthetic or conventional motor oil is going to be good enough. Just make sure you change your oil regularly along with the filter. I have used everything from full racing synthetic to conventional to the dealership synthetic. Just change every so often. I do every 3k but you cna change ever 500 miles to every 15k miles. Just depends how long you want your bike to last.

· Registered
3 Posts
You all probably know about the kickstand engine kill switch. Sometimes it doesn't work because the header will damage the wire. If you are sure you will never forget your kickstand, just take the **** thing off. There are two wires leading to it that connect it. Just take the switch and the long tubed set of wires and throw it all in the trash. But take the two wires that connect to the end of it and just connect them together. They're already fitted with a male and female connector. If you aren't comfortable with remembering to put up your kickstand, buy a new switch. Maybe cost 40 bones.

· Registered
11 Posts
i'm a newbie/returning rider looking at pre 2008 250s and 2002-2009 500s.

i found a 2006 500r with 14k miles.

the seller says:

"The bike is in perfect mechanical condition: I have changed the oil every 3000 miles and the filter every year. Chain cleaned and lubed every 300 miles. It's been winterized and garaged stored every winter.
Last summer I replaced the brake pads front and rear, synced the carbs, adjusted the valves, cleaned the air filter, changed the brake fluid and coolant, replaced the fuel hose, and lubed the clutch. The battery has been replaced with a sealed AGP style (no lead/acid maintenance required).
It comes with a custom corbin seat (more comfortable for touring than the stock seat) but I still have the original seat and you can have it if you want. Tires were replaced last year."

Sounds like a guy who is a wrench, which is usually a good thing.

Turns out this was his first bike and put 11k miles on in 3 years.

is 14k miles too much for a ninja 500r?

How long can these engines go before parts/reliability becomes an issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to share.

Be well.

Rob

rob

· Registered
1,502 Posts
I bought my first bike with like 5k miles and sold with 11,000. Not a single problem. I had my second bike from like 8-15. Not a single problem. And my current bike I bought with 13k and its up to 16,000 with only a new manual cam tensioner(like 250 dollar fix <.< Not too hard to do on your own if you have time, and a problem with most of the years CBRs). My dad has a VTX1300 from like 02 or 03 with almost 44,000 miles and it runs like a dream

Taking good care of a bike usually means it will last a lot longer. Changing oil regularly, and regular PM are the critical keys. But take it with a grain of salt. With my CBR its a manufactorerererer screw up. And anyone can say anything on the internet. So ask the guy some questions about what he does, like making small talk. Find out if he is a gear head. Look into the garage(if its open) and see what type of tools he has and how organized and clean it is. Clean, organized, nice tools usually point to a gearhead. Look at his other vehicles too while you circle your 500r. See what kind of condition they are kept in.

· Registered
11 Posts
i've read 70 pages of this thread.

it has taken me off-on 4 days!

but i'm thoroughly psyched with the prospect of either a pre-2008 ninja 250r or a 2003-08 500r.

i am surprised how active the forum was from inception thru 2008-9 but now readership/response seems to have slowed.

i wonder why. thoughts?

be well.

rob

· Registered
3,936 Posts
Rob...it's even slowed from 2010...but seems to go in cycles (no pun intended)...

Please consider the 500! I've owned both...the 500 will give you just a bit extra room, power and passing ability. I really miss that bike. They hold their value too!

· Registered
545 Posts
I haven't been on in a long time. I moved from PA to OK and found the 500R not as fun after I left city commuting and twisty Pocono roads. I live 20 miles east of OKC and take the interstate into work and the wind here blows from the North or South with normal winds seem to be over 20mph with gusts as high as 50mph somedays. I got to where I just wanted to sell for a heavier bike and I went back to my cruiser roots. I traded for a 1999 Honda Shadow 1100. Guy wanted a bike for his son to ride. I bet the thought the 500 was not as fast as an 1100. They have the same HP but the Shadow is much heavier. I bet after we traded and he rode it home he figured it out. I will miss the 500R when I get back into the TN country roads. Oh well I am getting older and enjoy a cruiser as well. If I could have more than 1 motorcycle I would probably get another sporty.

· Registered
3,936 Posts
Does anyone know what is UNDER that ugly bottom front fairing on the EX500? Has anyone tried to remove it for any reason?? Let me know please. Buying another one, but that's the only part of the bike I hate. If I thought I could get rid of it, I would....

2361 - 2380 of 2404 Posts