Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Ninja 250R/500R

862K views 2K replies 541 participants last post by  Joseph EL 
#1 ·
This Sticky is for specific questions, concerns and feedback pertaining to the Ninja 250R and 500R.

#2 ·
My dog has ridden more than 3500 miles on her 500R this year. She thinks it's the dog's bollocks, and she's one to know:

This is neither question, nor concern so heed this feedback:
The weekend before last I took my '02 EX500 on a few hundred miles with two friends on FJR1300's. Not only did Lolita (that's her name) humiliate these bikes with almost 3X's the cubic-centimenters on the tight stuff, but she had them sweating on the wide-open sweepers, when we were hitting triple-digits while passing motorhome traffic. The FJR's weren't exactly cruising through the morning either, judging from the little puffs of smoke that appeared when its rider punched it.
EX500s are generally considerd to be the greatest beginner bikers, but they are probably in the top-3 greatest designs ever mass-produced. If you think you need more than an EX500 on public roads, then you are just a silly, vain buffoon who doesn't even deserve to ride.

Reactions: Joseph EL
#2,397 ·
FYI Not objecting in any way here but I have ridden for 46 years and now have a 2009 Ninja 500R, which at 63 is about all I can handle with a passenger. I have in my lifetime owned many FJ-1100's, FJ-1200's and FJR 1300's and they are without a doubt far more smooth a motor, smoother ride, better handling, more torque (which means I'm not constantly downshifting as on my 500R) I love this little Ninja 500R but as I said no comparison in comfort, handling and smoothness (it's not just about the power, that just comes with the rest of the package).

#3 ·
If I upgrade my EX, it'll most likely be to a newer one. I like how yours looks. :grin: And you are quite right, it's more than enough for commuting purposes, and smacking most cars upside the head coming off a stoplight..... My only complaint is the rather upright riding position, crosswinds kick me around a bit.

#5 ·
I'd say the EX500s are pretty decent bikes but I'd have a hard time seeing them beat a decent 600 rider. The new 600s are actually lighter than the EX500. Now if you go with the steriotype that most 600 riders are newbies or squids then there is a whole different equation. You're getting into rider skill, not machine capabilities. I would, however, be more apt to believe that a 600 can out run a 1000 in certain situations. Take MAM for example. You would think the the long straights that a liter land missle bike could beat a little 600, but the record holder at that track is a 600. The 1000s just slide through the corners too much to get the drive that a 600 can.

The reason for this isn't because the number 600 is better than the number 500. Its because Kawasaki and the rest of the big 4 dump almost ALL of their R&D into the 600s and almost as much into the 1000s. 5 or more years ago the EX500 had a much better fighting chance but unless they do something with its design I can't see a very long "performance" future. It will always be a great beginner bike because it is so forgiving. But lets face it. Forgiving doesn't get you to the winner's circle with today's fast paced racing techknowlagy.

#12 ·
problems with the raise rear

I have recently raised my rear with gsxr 750 dog bones and put wider tires on my bike as many of you know. It is like a whole new bike.....real easy to flick from side to side. I noticed today that the part of my chain that goes on the top of the swingarm is rubbing on a rubber piece thats on the swingarm. I thought i read something on the ex500riders forum that this happens when you raise the rear and after the rubber is worn away its fine. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything at all about this. Is there anything I can do? Should i drop it back to stock height? Or just let it go?

#18 ·
I prostrate my(virtual)self before you in apology, Knight. I was rudely poking fun at your love of the winner's-circle. For however miniscule the track (which accounts for .0000001% of a accumulated mileage on a the sportbikes sold in the US) may seem to some of us, it is undeniably what the magazine comparisons focus upon; and therefore the peter-meter all young red-blooded, fire-pi$$ing American motorcycling fighter-pilots gauge their machines (and since motorcycles are arguably prosthetic wings for us land-borne primates) their abilities and by extension, themselves.
I'm almost exclusively a road rider, so the track accounts for about .0000001% of my interest. I'm what the effete track-stallions mockingly deride as a squid, (calamari is chopped and fried squid, BTW.)
I like casual, unhurried riding, as if I were the last man on earth, savoring the last tankful of gasoline on an early morning, BUT (everyone I know has a big butt in life) I appreciate that there is traffic and therefore competition.
I've been passed by fast guys on 600's (and even one 8-valve Guzzi) while riding my ZX9R, but I must confess to indulging in a perverted and repulsive glee while passing several R1's with my new EX500 on Palomar Mountain, and once basked in the glory of passing a guy dragging his knees on a 748 or 996 while riding my 45-hp W650 on said road.
Like all Humankind's pursuits, all that is accomplished at the end is the gratification of our vanity.
If you're ever in SoCal, I hope you'll let me give you the grand tour of our roads and buy you a pitcher at the end. No malice or competitiveness, I owe you for the insult, which I again apologize for.
-Calamarichris in Carlsbad, CA (near San Diego)

#22 ·
That is pretty cool, but I do kind of like the simplicity of the current look. The newer black on black is very nice. However, if it doesn't jack the price up $1000 and sparks greater interest in the 500s (and brings down the prices on the current look), it can't be a bad thing.

Of course, I'd be tempted to drive that thing waaaaay too fast.

#23 ·
Propagandhi said:
Hey Calamarichris, do you really take your dog out with ya?
Great post, by the way. I'm enjoying my EX500 a lot. The 600 riders kinda brush you off until you blow by them. Did that to an R6 the other day. It was great!
Hiya Ghandi and thanks! Yup! She's ridden more than 3300 miles with me so far this year. (Probably more than 40,000 miles in her life.) She thinks the EX is the dog's bo11ocks!:

P.S. (Ghandi RULES!)

#24 ·
Funny thing happened at dinner today - we rode out to this little resturant in Crozet, VA, and while we were eating they mentioned that they felt like I had outgrown my current bike and needed a bigger one. While I'm flattered that they feel my skills have improved, I can't help but feel that they're wrong - I have a hard time believing you CAN outgrow this bike, I think it will always have something to teach me. Comments?

#25 ·
That all depends upon who they are. If they're your parents, spouse or wealthy uncle hinting that perhaps they'd like to buy you a new bike, BY ALL MEANS, it's time to move on!
If, on the other hand, they're like nearly everyone else who subscribe to the commonly-held ideal decreeing that all seasoned riders must display their prowess with either a 1300cc-Harleys or a liter sportbike, just invite them on a ride. You don't need a literbike to have a great time, nor do you need an 800-pound chrome-dipped piece of buttjewelry to prove that you are a skilled rider.
I've ridden my ZX9R 35,000 miles, and before that wore-out a Honda VTR1000 Superhawk (after only 50,000 miles.) But I travelled to Colorado earlier this year for my red '02 EX500. Perhaps because I've outgrown my ZX9R?
Sure the 500 is a suitable bike for beginners, but that doesn't mean it isn't a lethal weapon in the hands of an experienced rider.
Just be prepared to be treated like a beginner by everyone who you haven't had the opportunity to ride with. It's actually a fun test to find out whom are the dip$hits.