Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I would be very happy to know if anyone could tell me what the cam gears are supposed to line up with when you button the top end up on 98 ninja 250R. I've been fretting with the trial and error way for a week and I'm ready to throw in the towel. Please help!!

Thanks in Advance,
jarrettGuy

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Maintenance Manual

Check with Beartooth Kawasaki our FORUM sponsor for the Maintenance Manual...It's cheap and it will have what you are looking for...less fret! 1-800-556-3098...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get the service manual and supplement from your dealer or http://www.buykawasaki.com. You need it!

Basically, your timing marks on the camshaft sprockets have to match level with the cylinder head gasket. Use the EX mark for the exhaust cam, and the IN mark for the intake cam. They will be pointed in exactly opposite directions from each other. Oh, and make sure you're set for TDC #2, not TDC #1. There's a timing mark for it, although I don't think the timing is adjustable.

Don't mess this up -- you'll wreck your engine.

Why'd you have this apart anyway? Were you changing the camshaft chain or tensioner?
Curt

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but in the previous post, it says to make sure the #2 is at TDC....is this universal, or just for this bike???

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
canigetin said:
I know this is an old thread, but in the previous post, it says to make sure the #2 is at TDC....is this universal, or just for this bike???
must just be for this bike cause thats a new one to me. ive never heard of ANY bike using #2 TDC when setting cam timing :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts