Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine just gave me a ninja 250R engine and i need to know the following, any help will be greatly appreciated

How can I tell what year the engine is?

Do i need the stock carbs to run the engine?

Can i run the engine without all the accessory electronics(ex. headlight, kickstand sensor,ect)? If not how would i make a wiring harness without those optionals?

there are probably more questions i will post but thats it for now. im going to putthe engine into Kawasaki Mojave 250 frame just for bashing around in. like i said any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
James

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think there has been any changed to the 250r engine from 88-07 (maybe even since 86).

No, you don't need the headlight or kick-stand switch to run the motor.

I'm sure you could run the motor with different carbs, but the stock carbs are hella cheap on eBay (if you don't want to mess with getting different carbs to work)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks allot spoolinsol the reason i asked that about the carbs is because i have a set of Honda CX500 carbs and there made by Keihin and thats the same company as the Ninja 250. and does anyone know where i might find the wiring diagram so that i may run only the motor without any of the extra accessories??

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's a mess, but here's a wiring schematic Wiring Schematic - Ninja250Wiki The supplement I got from my Kawi dealer has awesome wiring diagrams of EVERYTHING on the bike, I'd highly recommend it.

What diameter are the cx500 carbs? If they are close to the same inside-diameter as the 250 carbs I'd assume you could make them work for te 250 (with re-jetting, etc) but i'm willing to bet you'd get optimal performance from the stock 250 carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the wiring guide...it looks a little bit tricky but im sure if i use the force i can make sense of it. on another note the airfilter side of the carbs 54mm and the engine side is 38mm im not sure how big it is on the inside. i hope to get pics of them up soon. right now you have no idea how much help you are thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would anybody know what size radiator i would need to run my ex250 engine safely. i have the radiator that came with my quad and im not sure how much smaller it is that the ninja. i also will be running a fan on the radiator too. also would i be able to use a car battery for a few minutes to make sure i have the wiring harness and switches figured out before i put it on the bike? thanks in advanced
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts