Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ninja 500 with a vance and hines exhaust. Thats about it. I am going on the highway and this just happened to me.. Anyways im about 1/4 of the throttle in 6th gear and when i try to accelerate more the machine bogges down and doesn't speed up. But if i let off the throttle it goes fine but only at 1/4 of throttle. I have premuim gas in the machine. Just did and oil change? What could be the problem. Could the petcock be at the wrong position i have it vertical down at ON but would it matter if its a little in the off position? Also seemed to do it while i was cruising around 35 and i try to accelerate it bogges down. Almost like its out of gas. But i still have a half a tank.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts always decrease the performance of the 500R unfortunately whether the engine has been jetted or not. I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like the bike is getting flooded when you twist the throttle hard. Are you mechanically inclined (I'm not to any degree)? If you are, you may want to check to see if the engine was rejetted and if there is an aftermarket air filter installed. Even if both were done, you will still have a flat spot somewhere in the power curve but the bike shouldn't "bog down" per se. My guess is that one of the elements is missing in the "upgrade" which is why the engine is flooding when you twist the throttle. I'd suggest taking the bike back to stock if possible; most people that have installed aftermarket exhausts on the 500R's do so in the end.

I'm sorry that I'm a mechanical moron and if you don't get a more detailed answer from a couple of other senior 500R owners here, go to this 500R exclusive forum (some members there live and die everything 500R and most of all, FOG is there): Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R - Index

Hope you get the bike running smoothly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bike has been jetted. I know that but for some reason it was running fine before but now all of a sudden it is doing this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts