Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the scenario, I've neglected my Ninja 500 this winter, I didn't train the tank, and didn't put destabilizer in it, as I did last year. You ask why? Because I'm stupid. Now the bike won't start. But here is some info.

The battery is good, I've had it on a trickle charger, and it is indicating healthy. There is fuel (in the tank), the starter is turning, the lights turn on when I turn the key, all the lines seem functional.

I think it might be that the float bowl is dried (although I've had the bike stored over the winter before and it's never had a problem starting). Is it possible that there is no fuel in the float bowl and therefor I will have to suck on the vaccum tube to open up the petcock and get the fuel flowing again? But again this has not happened to me before in the winter, and despite my neglect I don't think anything I've done should have effected the bike in this manner.

Does anybody have any other ideas as to what it might be? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm pretty sure that yes, it is the fact your float bowl has no gas in it.

Unfortunately the EX doesn't have a prime position so the only way to get gas into the bowls is to crank it, or suck on the vacuum.

I put mine up for a little over a month WITH stabil in it when I checked up on it christmas break to warm up the oil for a change. The bike didn't start until I gave it a few 5 second cranks with the starter. Probably 5 or 6.

Just try it again. Be gentle on your starter and try cranking in bursts of no more than 5 seconds. I doubt the bike has sat long enough for anything to be gummed up. Oh, and make sure your petcock isn't OFF. Did that too :p

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a Mighty Mite vacuum pump. It works like a backwards spray bottle pump.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a Mighty Mite vacuum pump. It works like a backwards spray bottle pump.

LOL I was sitting at school one day trying to design this exact product. Had no idea it existed already. Good to know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts