Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for a rear tire for my 2002 Ninja 500. I'm looking for something with a little better performance than stock. I'd also be interested to know cost estimates and suggestions as to where I buy the tire. If there are any good websites for ordering tires, please direct me.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Look on the web for your favorite tires and sizes

MAW, and places have great prices...but if you buy tires from your dealer and have them install them your tires you may find that the tires are just a little bit more expensive...but with installation......and all...IF you buy them from the dealer then you have a problem...HE is going to have to fix the problem and you won't have to shell the money out again for labor, OR the tires...as far as tires, Conti is coming out with a new set of compounds and I think that they will be trying to get into some racing even...Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin..all of the manufactures that make racing tires for th race circuits definately make som serious street tires. I know that you are thinking that those tires are really expensive....but relative to an accident, whether it is you and the bike or even just the bike,,,the tires are cheap (inexpensive???) insurance. The ER at the hospital would set you back more than a set. Tires, after-all, are the only contact that your bike has with the ground, except with an occasional peg scraping,,,the better the tire the better your chances of the bike sticking to the surface...don't put anything less than you value your life with when it comes to tires. Visit a local motorcycle salvage yard and just look at the tires on the bikes...

·
Registered
128 Posts
i just recently got tires put on my 500r. i would definitely reccomend buying them from a local shop/dealer if you are going to have them do it, as mounting will be cheaper.

figure 160 dollars for tires from a website, plus another 100 or so dollars for the mounting (according to the labor priceing book) that's $260 total... if you buy the tires from them, they usually knock off a good chunck of the mounting charge in exchange for the tires being a tad more expensive. plus as zx-2r said, if you have a problem (say your front end develops a wobble that wasn't there before you had the tires done) the shop you had the work done at will have to fix the problem, since it is their tire and their work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so the consensus between the two of you is to buy from a dealer. Now, what about suggestions on the actual tire to get? Do you have suggestions on the model of tire I get?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Tires are a personal prefference...

Just as in your personal taste in vehicle preference (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) you will find the same is true for tires...I don't like to reccommend tires because if you were to get hurt then I'd feel bad about making a suggestion/recommendation...that's why I suggested several companies...but if you insit in names and exact tires...Michelin Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport H2, Bridgestone BATTLAX (BT-012SS or BT-014 or BT-010) , Metzler Sportec M1, Dunlop D208, Pirelli Diablo. I know that one of our Moderators loves his Diablos and put a 150 on the rear...yeah, I know oversizing is dangerous and is not suggested by the manufacturer, but I understand tha thte 150 is as much tire that can go on a 500R (rear) without squishing the tire (deforming it, puckering, and making it dangerous) and I would think that it brings the speedometer to almost an accurate reading instead of the reading of to fast that is common on motorcycles... You would probably get a better mailorder deal for tires, but just as it was pointed out going through the dealer will guarantee satisfaction and any defects are at the dealers expense...besides you are supporting the shop...Make sure that you use this as an excuse to get a great discount for the tires, mounting and ballancing so that you can tell the rest of the bikers you know...how great of a deal you received and how great the dealer was in pricing and making sure how well that you were taken care of...Making NICE with the dealer is not only a good thing for you but the advertising that you put out on the street is worth a discount... I hope I have helped...just ask the dealer what prices he can get you and what HE would suggest. Don't ask a salesman on the floor, ask for the owner or Manager...someone that has the authority to get you a discount and you can deal with...it makes them feel important and it makes you a valued customer...one willing to pay nearly retail for a properly set up bike...Tires won't be cheap if you get the best, but would you really want something less than the best to ride on??? Remember you have a very small footprint...a little larger than the average postage stamp for the front and rear...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have Pirelli Sport Demons on my 500. I paid $250 for the pair, mounted and balanced, on my Kawasaki dealer. (I brought them the wheels, off the motorcycle already, may have been higher if I just brought in the bike)

They're great tires, it was money well spent.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The job to mount and balance doesnt take too long depending on how busy the shop is. If I leave my bike to do that, I usually just go to lunch and its done by the time I come back. If you just had the tires put on the rim and balanced it only takes about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
cool.... also, would it be cheaper to buy the tire online and bring them the rim and tire. Or get the tire from them and have them do it.

andrew

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have a Cycle Gear down the street from me and as often as I am in there they can do it pretty fast and relatively cheap.

Mounting the tire on the rim and balancing is like $25.00 for both.

If you are ok at wrenching then you can save some money, but don't be cheap and mess up by doing it without a clue. Taking it off is easy. It's putting it back on that you have to pay attention that you put the brakes back on as well as putting the wheel in straight with the chain....

If you are mechanically inclined I would say you can do this, but that is up to your abilities and only you can answer that question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts