Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
<3
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was seeing wat ninjas i fit better..... and i noticed that when i sat on the 650 it was light than the 500..
is it just me or does the 650 really weigh less than the 500?

·
Registered
24 Posts
the 500 weighs a few pounds less, but they may feel different. The 650 is a much newer bike and if you are thinking of either of those two got for the fuel injected 650. The 500 is long in the tooth. I have one and it is great, but I am thinking of upgrading and maybe to the 650.
Dani

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I doubt the 650 is much lighter if at all. I think the 500's around 400 dry. The 650 has about 25 years of advanced design on the 500 though.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
2008 Ninja 250 is just going to be awesome

·
Registered
405 Posts
With the low mount exhaust (among other things), I wouldn't be suprised to find out that the 650 has a lower CG than the 500. That, and differences in the seat fit to body, and a bunch of other things, will make the bike feel lighter when you bring it up off the kickstand, even when it's not.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
It's gotta be the 20 years worth of MC development...

Specs show that the 650R is 5 lbs. heavier than the 500R (650R = 393 and the 500R = 388 dry); not much really and I don't know if that small of a weight difference could even be noticed either way. I'm going to have to go with some of the other posts and say that it's the 20 years worth of development that makes the heavier 650R feel lighter than the 500R even though it's heavier. I think the low exhaust and the slightly more forward tilted engine is what makes the 650R feel lighter.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
That is nice...Get a ZX-6R after...You don't want to be sheep now do you :biggrin:
sheep? If you want away from the herd:

:biggrin:

Seriously though, the new ZX6 is a fantastic bike on the track and has great aftermarket parts to bolt on. Oh, and it costs about half of that piece of Italian butt jewlery if you try.

Between the 500 and 650 it is easily the 650...The 500 is just to horrific looking IMO...
The 500 is not a pretty bike. If you can pick one up used it is a great starter bike, but if you are going to spend the money on a new bike get the 650. If you have to get a 500: get some parachute pants to go with the retro 80s styling.

·
<3
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sheep? If you want away from the herd:

:biggrin:

Seriously though, the new ZX6 is a fantastic bike on the track and has great aftermarket parts to bolt on. Oh, and it costs about half of that piece of Italian butt jewlery if you try.

The 500 is not a pretty bike. If you can pick one up used it is a great starter bike, but if you are going to spend the money on a new bike get the 650. If you have to get a 500: get some parachute pants to go with the retro 80s styling.

oooo.... i like the Ducati

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even though it's a few pounds heavier, the 650r, with its newer design, has everything placed more efficiently (lower) to make it feel lighter. The 650r engine is also a bit more narrow that the 500, which also helps to give it a "lighter" feeling.
For those who have ridden both, does the extra fairing on the 650r give much better protection from the elements than the 500?
PS: I love the look of the Ducatti, but I don't like the price or the required mantenance!

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
my dad is making me start out on a little 250 when i get my license! i want a cbr600 though
If you are riding on the street, he should reconsider that mistake. You need some weight to keep it stable on the highway and the dinky bikes don't usually have brakes I will bet my life on.

·
<3
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well.... he already said that i'm not allowed to get anything bigger to start out on.....and my mom doesn't even want me to get a motorcycle.... so i'll go along wit it for now

·
AMA NRA LIBERTARIAN
723 Posts
A Ninja 250 may get blown around a bit around the big trucks,
but it is more than fast enough for the Freeway.
I doubt she weighs more than 150 so she will be fine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts