Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking into buying this as a first bike. What would be the best year for the 500R? What year did they start fuel injection on the 500R? Also I was wondering how reliable it is and how much $ mantainence would cost on it? Im 6'3" and weigh in at 190lbs mostly muscle. How would the bike fit me?

Thanks,
-Lou

·
Registered
154 Posts
500R never had fuel injection. The bike is very reliable, simple, easy and cheap for maintenace. You are quite big, not just for this bike. I would say for any sport bike, so enjoy 500R. I will say there is no the best year for 500R, but it got 17" wheels and rear disk brake 1994. Before that it had 16" wheels and rear drum brake.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Jspec_MR2t said:
I looking into buying this as a first bike. What would be the best year for the 500R? What year did they start fuel injection on the 500R? Also I was wondering how reliable it is and how much $ mantainence would cost on it? Im 6'3" and weigh in at 190lbs mostly muscle. How would the bike fit me?

Thanks,
-Lou

Have bike 8)
2004 (for warranty reasons) :wink:
Bought in Oct 2003/3700 miles/no problems :D
First Maintence cost $180
Good Luck..............have fun!! :p

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jspec_MR2t said:

Thanks,
-Lou
I just bought a 2004 Ninja 500R for my first bike. $2,600 + tax with 0.4 miles on it. Kawasaki is running a sweet financing deal this month with their good times credit line. It is 3.99% apr for 3 years with a min payment of just $39. Of course you have to pay more than the 39 if you ever want to pay it off but its good in case somethign comes up and you cant. Insurance was only $207 for 12 months through progressive (liability only). Full coverage jumped up to over a grand so i just figured that if somethign came up id pay for it rather than spending more than the bike is worth for insurance over the next few years. Its a great bike and the only negative thing i have heard about it is that the factory tires aren't the greatest. I still wouldnt know since i have to keep it below 4k RPM's till i hit 500 miles. I was going to go used but ninjas generally have a high demand and high resale value and it was only a couple hundred bucks more brand new.

·
Registered
429 Posts
r409z said:
Jspec_MR2t said:

Thanks,
-Lou
I just bought a 2004 Ninja 500R for my first bike. $2,600 + tax with 0.4 miles on it. Kawasaki is running a sweet financing deal this month with their good times credit line. It is 3.99% apr for 3 years with a min payment of just $39. Of course you have to pay more than the 39 if you ever want to pay it off but its good in case somethign comes up and you cant. Insurance was only $207 for 12 months through progressive (liability only). Full coverage jumped up to over a grand so i just figured that if somethign came up id pay for it rather than spending more than the bike is worth for insurance over the next few years. Its a great bike and the only negative thing i have heard about it is that the factory tires aren't the greatest. I still wouldnt know since i have to keep it below 4k RPM's till i hit 500 miles. I was going to go used but ninjas generally have a high demand and high resale value and it was only a couple hundred bucks more brand new.

correction on my last post....it was $4600 brand new. I forgot to mention...as far as fitting you, do what i did; go to a dealership and sit on one...see how it feels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, I'm 6'3" and have a 94 Ninja 500. No probs here. I can still tuck in and only the top of my pointy head is over the screen (Note: I have to look over the screen, as my screen is smoked black.) On top of that, I get around 55 mpg if I play right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1st bike

its been a long long time since riding my first bike. around 25 years,geeze i'm getting up there. none the less, i'm 5'8' 180lbs. i'd go for something bigger. zr7. being a beginner, you HAVE to respect that engine though. fulltilt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts