Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just bought a brand new '09 Ninja 650R (it has about 150 miles on it right now), and after about a 10 minute ride today, I shut it off and took the key out. I went inside, got on the phone, and walked back out in to my garage, and all of a sudden the bike starts making a "whistling sound." This was about 5 minutes after the bike had been shut off, and I've never heard this before, but then again I usually don't come back out after the bike has been turned off. It wasn't too loud, but not so quiet as to be unnoticeable. It started at a "high" pitch, then after about 2 seconds it dropped a little lower, then after another second it went a little lower, then lower once more, then it went away and everything was fine. The whole thing probably lasted 4 seconds or so. I couldn't tell if it was electronics making the noise, it kind of sounded like it may have been, or if it was something really hot that was cooling down? Any suggestions?

Note: Already checked the owner's manual but didn't see anything =s

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I suspect the gas tank vent is plugged. On some bikes, It's built into the gas cap, others may be on the filler neck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Both my 1997 ZX9 and my 2008 ZX10 do the same thing.I have never had a problem because of that noise.I think its just the fuel cooling off or heating up and the vent doing its job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts