Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2002 -2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12 mirrors that I need to paint. The best way to do this right will be to disassemble the brackets.

I want to remove the Allen head bolt that crosses through the fairing end of the pivot arm bracket of the mirror, and through the mounting base. This sounds simple, but...

However, these suckers are FROZEN, either intentionally by the factory (with Loc-Tite) or from electrolytic corrosion (steel on aluminum). Soaking in WD-40 did nothing. I do not want to break these or ruin the threads or base.

NOTE: There is a blue paint like substance on the screw end that appears to be something like a Loc-Tite / thread-lock substance, which would make sense to prevent it from coming loose considering the purpose.

Has anyone taken these apart before? If a Loc-tite subtance was used by Kawasaki, approximately how long did you heat the bolts to "melt" the Loc-Tite to remove them? (I'll be using a Propane torch).

Looking for definite first-hand answers - no assumption or supposition needed. I don't want to break these. Thanks ---S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MY OWN ANSWER

I was right. It was a Loc-Tite substance. My patience lasted for about ten minutes after posting my question! I got impatient and figured I was right anyway.

I heated the exposed bolt thread end with a propane torch for about 30 seconds on one mirror and it loosened, the other mirror took a little longer; heated for 1 minute, didn't work, heated for about another 30 seconds, came loose.

By the way, the mirrors are being used for a concept vehicle; I don't own a Kawasaki and didn't have a shop manual. Posted my own answer here in case anyone else has this problem. ---S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts