Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1985 Ninja 900R that's having a problem. I just rebuilt the carbs because it was leaking gas out of the air filters and now it's having what I've been told is an ignition problem.

Basically, it starts up and runs just perfect until it gets warmed up and all the sudden the idle just drops out the bottom and you can start it back up probably once but it does it again and won't start again. Once it's cooled down it'll start again.

I was told it could be the ignition sender? What's the name for that in the Kawasaki manual I have?

I'm out of cash. I can't afford to take it to the shop here, plus they don't have a fricking clue what they're doing. I have a parts bike so if anyone has any ideas what the problem is I'd appreciate your counsel. Thanks.

Zach

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ZACH

Read the plugs and se if they are all wet...to rich...also check the compression. Just pull all the spark plugs turn the safety off/on/off switch to off to prevent damaging the ignition and crank the engine over with the throttle wide open to get a valid reading...read all of the cylinders...if they are even that's good, if not readjust yor valves till they are...if they won't even out then yo uwill have to check for burnt, bent valves,bad head gasket, cracked head,,,shoot, it could even be just bad plugs. Once it get warm it quits...have you tried new ones? Use new ones and then afterwards soak the old ones in white vinegar to clean them real good...still they could be defective as well...clean fuel...pull the fuel bowl screws and drain the gas into a paper coffee filter to see if there is settiment form the tank getting back into the carbs......GET BACK ON THE FORUM to let us know...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, here's the deal. I went and worked on the bike today for four hours. Basically, swapping parts to and fro from my parts bike to it and it to the parts bike. I checked all the electricals, spark plugs, though they were the first thing I replaced when the problem started.

Anyway, I got a half tank of good gas in it and it started up just fine and has been running great ever since. I did notice a bit of change in the power amount it has though. The old carbs were more heavily jetted and would give it just a tad too much gas but it was putting down a bit more power.

So I don't think this will really help anyone with a similar problem. It was just the fact that I have almost zero dollars, couldn't even afford a full tank of gas today, had to settle for $6 worth. Sorry, hope your problems are solved as easily as this one was for me.

Zach

1 - 3 of 3 Posts