Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting 87 Ninja back on the road. Old air filter had deteriorated. Thinkiing element has clogged jets.

Drained bowls & tank. Starts with choke and runs as norm. After warm up, turn choke down and engine dies. Throttle response practically nil - cables working fine.

The first thing I'm thinking is need to spray carb cleaner directly into carbs.

How do I get at carbs - remove air box??? and how to remove airbox.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WHOA!!!

DON'T spray carb cleaner into your carbs. The CFC's will eat any seals you have left, making a total rebuild necessary. At $20 per carb, that can get expensive, especially if you need to replace the jets. That being said, I'll move along now :D

It sounds like you might a problem with your jets being clogged. What you'll want to do is pull the whoe rack of carburetors (don't worry..if it's like my 85 GPZ900R, this is easy.) They'll be mounted on a common rack. To pull'em, you'll need to strip the tank, seat, and side panels off.

Next, a phillips head screwdriver,and you loosen the clamps on the cylinder head. Loosen the clamps on the CARBURETTOR side only.

Pop the springs off the airbox boots (going from the aribox into the carburettors)

Disconnect the throttle and choke cables. (You might want to remove the throttle cable altogether, as re-attching the thing can be a major pain in the ass)

At this point, it's all muscle work. The carbs are in a tight spot, and they need some not-so-gentle lovin' to get out. Always pull them out on the right side of the bike.

Once they're free, take'em to a work bench and prepare to remove the float bowls (bottom of the carb..4 screws.) Drain the gas in them first, or a puddle of flammable badness will be your reward.

While you have the 'bowls off, clean them out, and look for residue in the bottom. Also, clean the float bowl drain screw and orifice. Now..

Examine the bottom of the carburettor. There will be a flat-tip screw head that should be right in plain sight. Remove them, and examine the tiny holes. I'm willing to bet that if there was any crud in the float bowl, those holes will be clogged up tight. This will be the culprit.

Here is where you can use that carb cleaner. Just a touch, with a soft bristled tooth brush, and examine the jet again. Once all the holes are clear of any debris, re-install them. To do this and get it right is tricky, but do-able.

IF it's a GPZ900, I can give you spot-on instructions, but otherwise, you'll want to find a book on your particular model.

On a GPZ900R, the carburettors will be Keihin CVK34's. The pilot screw you've just cleaned out should be re-installed and turned all the way in (but not tight..barely snug will do fine) Once they're in, back each screw out 2 1/2 turns.

That's it. Your bike should warm up and idle just fine, provided you didn't twiddle with anything else.

Re-install everything you removed in the reverse order it came off, and when it comes to the throttle cable, be patient..it will work, but it takes some time to get it right. Trust me.... :shock:

How do I know all this? I just did all the same stuff recently, after a carb-rebuild was necessitated when my local shop had one of their so-called "mechanics" shoot carb-cleaner into the throats, thereby eating the seals. I wasn't happy, but I got new rebuild kits for it, on their dime.

Hope this helps...have a good one

ZX

·
Registered
14 Posts
check idle adjustment and mixture via the pilot air screws. also, let it get nice and warm by revving it with no choke on and not letting it die. then let the throttle settle, take ur hand off and see if it idles arite. basically, make sure you get it warm before you say it dies cuz sometimes it can die if you let the choke out too soon or don't rev it enough with no choke on when still cold.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm now doing this on an 86 ZX9R. I've got the carbs out, but there's one screw on each bowl that I can't get to move. I'm afraid I'm going to strip them out. Any suggestions?

On the airbox, the spring coils are weak, so I ordered new ones, but the rubber is stiff & not really round any more. Should I force them on, or can they be replaced?

I've decided not to use the clamp ons, for various reasons, so it's stock air box one way or the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with Kawboy. It's probably a clogged jet. Really doubtful that it had anything to do with your air filter. Incoming air doesn't go through the jets, only the fuel. Any pieces of the filter would just end up in the cylinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts