Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders,
I took my 2009 ninja 650 out of hibernation two days ago (after almost 2 years). I changed the oil, removed the old gas and put in new gas. Regularly kept the battery in charge. After washing the bike, I put in the key, the lights came on and when I hit the start button, it immediately shut down and now nothing turns on. When i turn the key to ON, no sound, no light.. just dead.
  • I checked the battery and it is reading 12.44 (for almost 45 secs constantly). sometimes it reads 12.40
  • Took the battery to advance and they did the check and it said battery was good.
  • Checked all the fuses (starter too). and all are intact.

Please advise what else can i check ? or its time to get it to a shop ?

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Hi koolhyd, we can try to help you out.

Did you watch them test the battery? Was it a load test that prints out the results on a slip of paper?

The reason I ask is twofold. I have seen places that check a battery with a voltmeter and that kind of test is pretty much useless. The other reason I focus on the battery is because the symptoms you describe sound like a dead battery if all fuses are good. Since you checked all the fuses it points to the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@WFO-KZ . Thank you for the response. I did not watch them do the test. The rep showed me the device and it said good. I think i'll take the battery to another location and have them load test it and see what it says.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
OK, good stuff, I want you to leave the Meter set up exactly as is but take a reading when you turn the Ignition on, Then again when you press the start Button.
We want to see how the Battery Voltage reacts to those 2 Draws.
Post back with the results..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. As you correctly suggested, it was the battery, so went ahead and bought a new one and all is fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would be annoyed with whoever tested your battery. Volts can read 12 but the amps are what is needed to turn over the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
I would be annoyed with whoever tested your battery. Volts can read 12 but the amps are what is needed to turn over the engine.
That is exactly why I asked if he witnessed the test. I have taken a battery to an auto supply store for testing and the kid behind the counter pulls out a voltmeter, touches it to the battery terminals and says "your battery is fine". I told the kid he needs to use a load tester and he looked at me like I was from a different planet. So I took the battery to a different store where they load tested it and the load test proved the battery was bad.

There are far too many people out there who think voltage is the only thing that matters to the health of a battery.
Thanks Michael ZZR for reinforcing the point that amps, or cranking capacity is what really matters and that has nothing to do with voltage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts