Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. It seems like a great place. This may sound silly, but i'm only about 5'6 (maybe 5'7) and 130lbs. I sat on a friends GSXR750 and it was heavy. Also, my feet weren't flat on the ground.

My question is, will a Ninja ZX-6R be lighter? Also, is it lower to the ground.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated. Sorry about the silly question.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is the specs on the ZX6RR Dry weight: 355 lbs. Seat height: 32.5 in. and the specs on the GSXR750 Seat Height: 825mm (32.5 in.) and Dry Weight: 163kg (359.5 lbs.)

So as you can see the difference is not that much...

Hope that helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 99 zx-6r and a friend of mine has a gsxr750 I'm not sure of the year. Both of our bikes are lowered which doesn't really help your height situation. I myself am also 5'7 130lbs and on my bike before lowered I could touch with about 1/3 of my foot. His bike was the same. As far as weight goes eventhough the research says a difference in weight of 4.5 lbs it really feels like a lot more on the gsxr. My friend has said that he now wishes he would have bought a kawasaki because he likes the overall ride of one compared to his gsxr.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys! I guess I should sit on a Ninja and see how it feels.

I heard CBR600s sit lower and are lighter, does anybody know if there's any truth to this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys. I heard lowering the bike hinders performance. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You can lower the bike, but you'd really need to lower the front forks the same as you lowered the tail to maintain performance. You'd just lose ground clearance and likely scrap plastics if you were riding aggressively.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i heard lowering it helps but i dont know for sure i would like to find out. my bike is low enough for me but i just like the lower look. and if it will help performance then i am all for it. any body know any race mechanics they can ask?

·
Registered
447 Posts
They had a very interesting guest on "Two Wheel Tuesday" on SpeedTV, I believe it was a couple of weeks ago. He was a motorcycle drag racer and he recommended lowering the bike as much as you can for drag racing. He said they spent a lot of time trying to lower the bike as much as possible. I can see where this is better when drag racing, but as far as street bikes. I don't know! hhmmmm.... they do look sweet when they're lower. 8)

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I have heard from other people and drawing on my own experience I tend to believe you loose a little when lowering a bike. Of course it's perfect for drag races but you loose the ability to take the corners as smooth as with original settings. I think it also makes for what kind of driving conditions your in. If your crusin through city streets there arn't many curves.

I'm 5'7 and I lowered my 6r so I could touch flat footed because I have my bike with me at school. But I do notice it doesn't handle as smooth through the turns as it used to. They say the lower to the ground the more chance there is to scrape somthing.

The look is what gets people's attention when the bike is so low, it's definately cool looking and being a young guy and having girls always wanting a ride, I prefer being able to touch the ground especially having someone with me than take a turn hardcore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first bike was a 2003 gsxr 750, and now i just got the 04 zx6r and for me there is a pretty significant diffrence. The gixxer felt alot bigger and heavier... just feels like more bike under you. The tank of the zx6 is narrower than the gixxers... The zx6r feels much lighter than the 750, even though its only a few pounds different, i can throw this bike around like nothing compared to my 750. and as for lowering, im 5'2 and weigh 125 pounds wet. lol and i HAVE to lower my bikes. i had the gixxer lowered 2 inches and the zx6 is lowered one... i had them done so i stand ALMOST flat footed. and yea there is a bit of a loss in the handling, but in my case i dont have a choice. ive always been told its better not to lower the bikes, but if you like it and youre going for looks not performance, or youre like me a little shorty poo (hehe) and you dont have a choice. go for it.. its not that big of a difference
... and imo, the kawis and the suzukis ride alot better than the hondas... at least in the 600 class... my two best riding buddies have one of each and its always me and the gsxr 600 with mr. cbr 600rr behind us struggling a bit to keep up... just thought i'd share -Lizzy =)

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
lol, Welcome to the forums lizzy! Glad you shared with us. Also glad you bought a ZX-6R :)P) same bike I'll be getting in 518 days :wink: Anyway, how about speed? how's the accelartion compared to the gixxer? oh and what was your first bike?

·
Registered
30 Posts
my first bike was a gsxr 750. and the zx6r goes fast. i took it out the other day and pushed it to 173 on the speedometer.. which im sure is a little less on a gps.. and acceleration is good, i think it could be a bit better, i just put in a power commander and i havent mapped it right yet, so as soon as i do that ill let ya know. i like it better than the 750, except the handling... to me there is nothing like suzuki handling. but im more comfy on this bike. remember im smaller so i feel like i have a little more control on this bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
!!! I didnt either!!! lol... im going to borrow my friends gps thing to see EXACTLY what it does... b/c u know speedometers, theyre always off by a lil bit. but still... im definitely flying low :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts