Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just got in a used stator and tried it out. I had fire for a little while then it quit on me. I checked the stator with my multimeter and he 2-3 volts off each yellow wire(1999 bayou has 3yellow wires). An I getting enough juice from the stator?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
digital multimeter set at dc. Black wire grounded to frame with red wedged into the plug. Checked one wire at a time. If someone can tell me what voltage it should put out that'll be great! Or if someone can tell me how to test it by ohm that would be good to. I never was great with electrical.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There may be your problem Sir,
If you are trying to check the stator output then it needs to be done thus..

Disconnect the stator plug with the 3 Yellow wires.

Set your Multi meter to AC volts as the current at this point is unconverted to DC via the Reg/Rect, Your should see a minimum of 38 volts for your model so set the meter above this amount.

Now this is quite confusing till you get the gist of it....

For this explanation i will call the 3 Yellow terminals on the wire from the Stator coil A,B,&C

You will preform 6 tests for the AC voltage check.

You will need to start the Machine and increase the idle speed to around 4k Revs

Using the meter connect....

RED lead to A Black lead to B note the reading.

Red lead to A Black lead to C note the reading.

Red lead to B Black lead to A note the reading.

Red lead to B Black lead to C note the reading.

Red lead to C Black lead to A note the reading.

Red lead to C Black lead to B note the reading.

The readings should all be a minimum of 38 volts and within a reasonable tolerance of each other, If so this test is OK.

Kill the motor as the next test's are preformed without it running..

Set your meter to OHMS.

Stator coil resistance check.

Red lead to A Black lead to B note the reading.
Red lead to A Black lead to C note the reading.

Specified range is 0.4 to 1.1 Ohms

Stator coil Continuity check.

Meter set to continuity check.

Connect the BLACK lead to a good ground.

Red to A
Red to B
Red to C

There should be no continuity otherwise the stator coil windings have gone to ground.

WARNING When conducting the AC check be aware that the voltage can give you a bit of a NIP if your not carefull and make sure you don't short two terminals together when testing.....:eek:

Hope this helps:biggrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the bike doesn't run I did the first test with just the electric start 5-6volts. Ohm looks ok .4-.6 Continuity is fine to. Is it safe to say my stator is good?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ok if your trying to rule the stator out as the cause of the non running then yes i would say from the test results it's ok, But you obviously realise the output needs to be checked once she's up and purring..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the stator because it had no voltage. I had learned from a mechanic that it should light a test light,It didn't and I asked a different mechanic and he said it should light a test light. I am now going to clean up the connections(again),then try replacing the sensor at the flywheel(I think I already have one) tho I doubt it's that sensor I bet it's my cdi.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
cool, have to have power before you can get it running.

did you have a no spark condition at first?

what would your primary complaint have been if you had taken it to a shop from the start? I think this is the way I should have worded it in my last post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bike was running then lost spark. I checked stator with test light,no power,replaced stator. It fired for a few seconds then lost fire. Stator seems to be good. Conections cleaned,coil swaped out with no effect. Ohm/continuity checked sensor(by flywheel) against another from a different bayou it seems fine. Now I am triyng to locate a cdi. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im having the same problem i have called people and called people about it so im gonna ask on here.

First and foremost i have no spark
I have replaced the coil and voltage reg.
New Spark Plug Still Nothing

I can put a hot battery in and hook it up and my neutral light and stuff comes on and when i pull the rope the lights get brighter

Im new at this stuff so im a dummy when it comes to the electrical stuff

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts