Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know, last yera I laughed at the guys with all the silly rain gear.

now I sit here, with a blow dryer shoved up my gloves, trying to dry them out at 5 am

there is just no good way to dry out leather other than time

next year = rain gear

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Mark, if you have any spare cash, buy another pair. They do make water proof mitts that go over gloves if nothing else.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a set of frog toggs, just waiting to get a cycle so i can ride in rain and try them out lmao.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just gotta break down and buy weather gear, I just have an affinity for leather.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Bought my leather gloves in the mens section @ Helmart! think they were bout bout $15. Heluva good buy! Found a pair of leather gauntlet style at Target for $9.88!! Every now & then, ya really can get some good deals at those places. :shock: :biggrin:

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
you know, last yera I laughed at the guys with all the silly rain gear.

now I sit here, with a blow dryer shoved up my gloves, trying to dry them out at 5 am

there is just no good way to dry out leather other than time

next year = rain gear
mark, it's a lesson we all learn. GET THE PROPER GEAR!!

you should have rain gear for the ride to red lodge.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I always carry a couple large 50 gallon plastic bags with me. I tear a hole in the bottoom and two on the sides, toss it straight over my coat for emergency rain storms. Those bags don't take up any room in the saddlebags. I also use the large plastic ziplock freezer bags to go over my gloves closing the bags with some black tape in emergencies ... makes it great for those unexpected rain storms in the summer. in the winter I just carry rain gear.

As an after thought, you should look for designer bags in different colors, wouldn't want you to look like a California Raisin LOL

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I always have a couple of ponchos in the saddlebag.
The left bag is my "just in case" bag... got KC offroad light covers for the speakers and ponchos "in case it rains", Slime compressor and plug kit "in case I get a flat", and my Fox Creek Jacket "in case it gets below 70 degrees" ;)

Right saddlebag has the tool kit, shock air pump, full fingered gloves, and I'm not sure what else my wife has dropped in there.

I've got the trunk, but for Red Lodge I'm considering strapping my touring luggage to the pillion too... that way the trunk will be free and I'll have a place to put my helmet once we clear Nevada :biggrin:

It'll also offer extra room for cold Gatorade and beef jerky.
We ARE stopping at Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop, right?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I always have a couple of ponchos in the saddlebag.
The left bag is my "just in case" bag... got KC offroad light covers for the speakers and ponchos "in case it rains", Slime compressor and plug kit "in case I get a flat", and my Fox Creek Jacket "in case it gets below 70 degrees" ;)

Right saddlebag has the tool kit, shock air pump, full fingered gloves, and I'm not sure what else my wife has dropped in there.

I've got the trunk, but for Red Lodge I'm considering strapping my touring luggage to the pillion too... that way the trunk will be free and I'll have a place to put my helmet once we clear Nevada :biggrin:

It'll also offer extra room for cold Gatorade and beef jerky.
We ARE stopping at Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop, right?

Last year Lynn and I got caught in a couple thunder storms while there. Even in the summer, at that elevation, you should have a good leather jacket for warmth. We had a snowball fight at the top of Bear Tooth Pass in July. Dumped some snow down Moparman's back to ... so it is still cool up there. :wink:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Snow?

What's snow? :biggrin:

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Its that cold white colored stuff that falls from the sky, of course if it snowed down there it would be a dark tan to match the smog :wink: :mrgreen:

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats good stuff to know, since we will be traveling, I dont want to have to look for a wally world

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
i've been snowed on in july in the rockies, caught in the rain in death valley in march after the officer gave us our speeding tickets and assurd us it hadn't rained in 100 years in death valley and i've had the skies open up on us in nevada in july. now i carry cold weather gear and a rain suit anytime i ride more then a 100 miles from home.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
i've been snowed on in july in the rockies, caught in the rain in death valley in march after the officer gave us our speeding tickets and assurd us it hadn't rained in 100 years in death valley and i've had the skies open up on us in nevada in july. now i carry cold weather gear and a rain suit anytime i ride more then a 100 miles from home.
It is very unpredictable in the high country. Have watched a 4th of July Parade in Reno as it snowed ;) :biggrin:

Being prepared is the key for those runs to God's Country.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts