Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't been able to find my answer with hours of reading in here, have found out lots of info about the 86 300klf, but not what i need. i hope someone can help.
i picked an 1986 300 bayou, non working condition, the guy i got it from said that he was driving along one day and it stopped, it hasn't ran since. well, i started with the basics, the wiring, it was a mess, nothing was hooked up. found a wiring diagram on the internet(clymer) and got everything hooked back up, my problem is when i hit ignition i get nothing. i've replaced the ignition button with a different one and still get nothing. the motor will turn over when i short the solenoid, but won't start. compression is a bit low, 75 psi, added oil to the top of piston, no change in compression. i've tried different solenoid, regulator, cdi and relay. have a new battery. got good grounds. hope someone can help.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
do you have spark?

75 psi is low for these engines,you added oil and no change,that means valves not closein properly or adjusted to tight,causein the low comp,aslo may have a leakin head gasket (blown),

as for the ignition does the lights on the dash light up? green for neutral and red for reverse?

how long has the machine not ran for?the kill switch may be faulty do to rusting .

and have you got fuel goin into the engine? if it sat carb is need of cleaning and replacement of orings etc.

keep us posted on the answers to them queations,and we will get your beast breathin fire again -corey-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not getting any spark, all other lights are working, headlight, reverse, nuetral.
i've cleaned all the switches and coated with a bit of dielectric grease. checked stopped switch for continuity, seems to be shutting off and on. haven't worried about the carb yet, i expect to clean it anyway. i'm assuming the valves will need re done and i was probably going to rebuild the top end anyway. but would like to at least have it rolling over before i sink a bunch of money into it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
well if there is no spark then you will need to dio the cdi ,coil and pick up.there are plenty of posts about this in here some where.but check to see if you have a 12 v supplie to the coil it self.one leg will be hot with the key on at al times.the other leg of the coil will pulse when turning over.if you are not gettin a power supplie to the coil then trace that wire.if you have no pulse at the coil trace the wire and the other soruces that will give you a pulse.look at that and we il go to the next step -corey-

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you are fairly good at understanding the ignition and various electronic component functions, take a look at the parts diagrams for the ignition, generator and regulator, chassis electrical equipment, and the starter.

The diagrams are found on kawasaki.com under the owner info link.

I would suspect the starter issue is a relay or solenoid issue.

Also take a look at the camshaft and cam chain tensioner diagram.

The lack of spark can be relay, igniter, regulator, pulsing coil, or the ignition coil. Your Clymer manual lists a process for testing, and the type of multimeter required to do the testing on the igniter and regulator.

Also make sure your battery is fully charged and has all the terminals and grounds squeaky clean. A low battery or corrosion under a terminal can send you on a never ending snipe hunt.

For the low compression I would check the valve adjustment, and verify timing and that the cam chain is properly tensioned.

It will not start with 75 psi, that is too low. Do a wet and dry compression test to determine if it is the rings that are gone, or some other problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, installed a new starter button and found a short in the wire going to the starter relay. bike is now turning over, which is good news.
thanks for the help.
i'm now gonna get the valves set, ordered a new chip(transistor ) for the cdi and hopefully, will have this up and running soon.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
ok, installed a new starter button and found a short in the wire going to the starter relay. bike is now turning over, which is good news.
thanks for the help.
i'm now gonna get the valves set, ordered a new chip(transistor ) for the cdi and hopefully, will have this up and running soon.
i would get spark first then worry about other stuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
realized the starter is not turning over fast enough to get spark, hated to do it but had too take bike too shop. i have to make 27 raised panel cupboard doors by friday. i'll have the local repair shop deal with the spark issue this time, hopefully he won't find too much wrong with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.