Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called a dealership and they told me they can get me a new key for 150.00....i just got this bike, its a ex500 cc got it off of a friend, some damage that im plannin on fixin up, but is there a way to play with the wires to start it up? does anyone know? i need some hel, im not sure if i should get this bike if it doesnt even run.
thank you

·
Registered
209 Posts
no key

It all depends on how good a friend the person is that you got it from. If you trust them to not screw you over, then don't worry about it. As for hot wiring, I'm not sure. Prolly better to just get a key.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you tried jumping it off of the starter switch?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go to the local locksmith (like wizzard lock and key) with the number off your ignition and they can make you a new one for around 10 bucks.

I've done it, scared the hoopies out of me. They didn't even ask for proof of ownership!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 89 600R and I got it without the key. it had been sitting for five years, half apart, outside, total basket case! Anyway, I called a locksmith, they said that it would be $240, and if you have AAA, they'll either take off 60, to a hundread depending on what service you have. In the end, I watched a bounch of lock picking videos on youtube, and I found a simular key, then I "Bump Key'd it" A new ignition lock and key was $45, so I was planning to drill it, but I got the key to turn by "bumping it" in just a few minutes, maybe thirty at the most. Now that's the key that i use, works great! good luck

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
i called a dealership and they told me they can get me a new key for 150.00....i just got this bike, its a ex500 cc got it off of a friend, some damage that im plannin on fixin up, but is there a way to play with the wires to start it up? does anyone know? i need some hel, im not sure if i should get this bike if it doesnt even run.
thank you
You can buy the whole ignition for less than that, but then you still have to open the fuel tank

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a key but I just recently jammed my key in a little to hard so now I think a pin is messed up in the ignition and I may have to get the entire ignition replace.... how costly is that or are there any other solutions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, On mine, i have a few pins that are a bit touchy, but if they're stuck up, they're ok, it's if they are down, thats what won't let the lock spin. Did you look at the lock picking, and bump keying on youtube? You supposedly are able to "hot wire" the bike by attaching all of the wires that come from the ign. harness, and then touch it to the strarter wire, probably a browm wire, definatley seperated from the other five. This is something that I thought a lot about before bumping mine, but in the end, there's too many chances of frying the harness, or ? on ebay, they sell for about $45.00, you can look them up for your model, and year, but I've heard it can be baught for less. as for the existing pin/situation, try a pic tool called a rake, or a ball rake they can be made very easily, and again they are on you tube under how to make lock pick tools, or something like that. I made mine out of a hack saw blade, and a bench grinder. A rake will probably pull it all back to where it needs to be to start again, or whatever. As for a locksmith, the price will dramatically reduce if you take the lock to him, no service call charge, but tell them that you can bring it to them, so they can pro-rate the price. Try calling several,for best price- but it needs to be the ign. lock, because the tank, and other locks have less pins like 4 I think, so the ign. key will work on all, but noe the other way around. Good luck, hope you have it running again soon. R.B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts