Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 kx 125 it has a fmf silencer carbon fiber reeds and other than that it's all stock. the carb jets are 160 "main"( believe that's what you call it) and a 58 "pilot jet. i got the bike like that so ill assume it's stock settings. and im curious to know where the needle should be set at maybe that may be the reason. but what hte bike is doing when i ride it is when i have it at low rpm's i snap the throttle and there's nothing untill it gets at around midrange then when i snap it it pulls"okay" and on top(full throttle) it just falls on its face. so any help on what this may be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but i think with a little over 140 it shouldn't fall on its face on top end and should be able to rip off bottom...atleast better than it is now...

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
KIPs valve?
the KIPS ( Kawasaki Integrated Power System *i think*) valve is a valve on the cylinder head that is operated by weights and when your engine reaches a certain RPM, the exhaust valve opens or closes and allows for better performance in the throttle range you are currently in. alot of times they can become gummed up with oil and carbon deposits, causing them to stick open or closed and make you have bad performance. my guess is that your valve is stuck in the closed position and that isnt allowing you to have as much flow in high RPM's. i suggest getting a clymers or kawa repair manual and cleaning the KIPS valve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleaned the exhaust valves how do you know know if it's adjusted right? But I still have no bottom snap

·
Registered
27 Posts
whats your reeds look like...hows your compression.... any spark problems...whats ur airfilter look like an old piece of rag...whats ur silencer packing look like... old gas ....just throwing ideas at ya ... need more info

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
whats your reeds look like...hows your compression.... any spark problems...whats ur airfilter look like an old piece of rag...whats ur silencer packing look like... old gas ....just throwing ideas at ya ... need more info

he already answered his own question.............

·
Registered
35 Posts
no no no no, see i have a 1998 kx125 and what i can tell you is your setting is rich. you may have a top end prob or powervalve prob but thats unlikely, for your top end power to be not right the valve would have to be stuck shut as in ristricing flow whick i believe happens at low rpms, unlikely but im not saying its impossible.my bike i ride at an altitude of 900 feet and now it is almost summer and temp averages about 75 when i ride. i can tell you my bike runs well on a 140 main 2nd setting needle and a 39 pilot. one thing to see if your bike is to rich is to do a plug chop test, or see if it bogs or smokes alot. Carb problems are most tipicle for loss in power. but your top end might be in shambles but i think you would know if that was the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts