Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride kawasaki zx6r and wonder could i ride it without the muffler?
So that ther's only a pipe sticking out like on this bike here..

Does a pipe like this make enough back pressure to prevent valve damage?

So to make it clear.. i want to take off JUST the muffler.. not the pipes..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know about bike damage, but I can assure you that there will be hearing damage if you ride that way without hearing protection. People that I know have tried it have told me that it is unbearable for more than a few minutes, and you will probably be ticketed if you ride on the street like that.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you took off the silencer, it would not take long for a law enforcement officer to notice you. The bike you depict is an off road vehicle only and not for the street.

The race bikes are set up specifically to accomodate the intake, exhaust and combustion - still would not suggest to do it without a professionals help and for riding off road.- racing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanx for your concern, but in my country there are no laws against that.. It's very unlikley that i'm gonna get a ticket.

Anyway all I want to do is try to ride the bike like that, and if it works fine maybe even try a few track days..

So all I need to know is will it damage my bike or not? I heard that two guys are riding without mufflers for a long time and the bikes are ok..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry - not able to determine where you are at as you omitted the information.

You would need to have the bike tuned right still in order to run it as you suggest.

·
Registered
191 Posts
4stroke normally aspirated engines need tuned exhaust for optimal performance. Thats why when you get a new exhaust system that flows more you need to rejet/re map your fuel system. I run with no muffler on my 750 and it is loud but i jetted my bike for that. If you are going from stock to no muffler you might lean the bike out. I dont see any problems with a stock system just removing the muffler and damaging valves. It really becomes a problem when you shorten the exhaust system. cold air traveling back up the exhaust between cycles is what kills them(i think).

so the consensus. You can do it but your bike will probobly run like crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts