Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started snowing here yesterday and is supposed to continue through Tuesday. :( What a bummer. I can ride in the cold, but not in the snow. And after the snow melts, there will be sand and gravel all over the roads. It's a good thing hubby and I went for a ride Friday!

Here's what it looks like here right now:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what it looked like two days ago when we went for our last ride. This pretty much sucks.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
well at least you were able to put some miles on that new ride. I was just thinking to myself yesterday how it would be so good to get out for just a short trip but the cold and wet/icy roads said....keep it in the garage.

Nice pics BTW... :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
We are getting snow south of Denver, too ... the wind has kicked up, at least it's not snowing sideways.

Glad I got in a short ride a couple of days ago, it will have to do for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
snow good

8)

A big hi from scotland julie, pity about the snow but i will gladly change places with you cause i love the white stuff and all we get in scotland is rain,rain & more rain and sometimes a good hard frost hee hee

take care..................shrek

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shrek, what part of Scotland do you live in? I have a very close friend who lives in Glasgow. We were in Glasglow last December, and I couldn't believe how cold it felt, even though the temperature wasn't all that low. I guess it's the humidity that makes the difference. It's very dry here, so both the heat and cold don't feel quite as bad as they could.

·
Registered
4 Posts
scotland

:D

I live on the east coast of scotland in a coastal town called Methil,its in the county of Fife. It lies about 60 miles north of your friends in Glasgow. And your right it does get really cold & damp here,last year we were down to -10 at times which is freezing for us jocks!!!!!!!

iain :p

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

snowmobile with wacky gas :twisted:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Julie,they've got a name for that white stuff in your yard. It's called (winter in the rockies)! :lol:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woodchucks800 said:
Julie,they've got a name for that white stuff in your yard. It's called (winter in the rockies)! :lol:
I know. But I don't like it! I was hoping for another mild winter so I'd have lots of riding days. It isn't looking good so far...

I need to move south. :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks pretty bad and a little permanent, Julie. I went for probably my last ride of the year today. Lasted only about 45 minutes though. Got to get those silk glove liners you were talking about in another post-and a windshield. I'm pretty much of a chicken when it comes to riding in the cold. Got to be in at least the upper 30's and little or no wind before I will go out. Can't wait 'til late March. That's about the time it will start getting better around northwest Ohio. At least you've got some pretty nice scenery.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Terrible weather, well at least you have time on your hand now for Other stuff :)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SA_Meanstreak said:
Terrible weather, well at least you have time on your hand now for Other stuff :)
True, true. :D

And I have Christmas to distract me. But after Christmas is over, those long dark months of winter are going to crawl by. I guess I'll decide during the next few weeks whether to winterize my bike or try to keep it running through the winter.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It's depressing for sure when we have to put our bikes up until weather....bad roads....and winter have passed. I think I took my last ride for this year as our roads are also getting frozen with dusting of snow and now the endless trails and pockets of gravel. :cry:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice home 20 you got there Julie. I know that snow sucks when you're a rider but it sure makes the neighborhood look beautiful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. But the riding weather on the Gulf coast will be excellent all weekend. Eat your hearts out guys. During July, August and September I envy those of you who don't risk heat stroke every time you ride like us gulf Coasters do. You are also welcome to our hurricanes. Merry Christmas from Mobile, Alabama!

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I just have two words for all of you trying to ride in the cold:
Heated Grips
and my wifes version:
Heated Vest

I can't believe heated grips don't come standard on bikes in Canada, just like block heaters in our cars. :) I'm really kicking myself this year. I have had the bike stored for over a month now. We got a big snowfall like yours jukief and it looked pretty permanent so I put all the bikes away. Then it warmed up and now we've got unseasonably warm weather, it's going to be above zero all week! The roads have been clear for weeks now and we've had quite a few reasonable days, would've been cold but bearable. Next year I wait till Christmas before storing the bike!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
winter

bross said:
I just have two words for all of you trying to ride in the cold:
Heated Grips
and my wifes version:
Heated Vest

I can't believe heated grips don't come standard on bikes in Canada, just like block heaters in our cars. :) I'm really kicking myself this year. I have had the bike stored for over a month now. We got a big snowfall like yours jukief and it looked pretty permanent so I put all the bikes away. Then it warmed up and now we've got unseasonably warm weather, it's going to be above zero all week! The roads have been clear for weeks now and we've had quite a few reasonable days, would've been cold but bearable. Next year I wait till Christmas before storing the bike!

i second that, never parking the bike before new year's again !!!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't believe it, but most of the roads here are pretty clear already, except for the sidestreets (like our street). On the way home from work today I kept a careful eye on the roads to see whether I could spot any sand or gravel. I couldn't. I think they plowed instead of putting it down this time, which is great because it means that I can ride again in a few days. It's supposed to get up into the mid-40s by the end of the week. Woo hoo! A brief respite from the icky winter weather and a chance to get out on the new bike again. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts