Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1991 KX 125. there is no VIN on the bike anywhere that i can see. the fork neck is still painted the stock paint. no griding has ever been done as far as i know. is it possible that this bikes vin is in another location? or does this bike just go by the motor #? any help would be greatly appeciated. thanks
-sean

·
Registered
407 Posts
i have a 1991 KX 125. there is no VIN on the bike anywhere that i can see. the fork neck is still painted the stock paint. no griding has ever been done as far as i know. is it possible that this bikes vin is in another location? or does this bike just go by the motor #? any help would be greatly appeciated. thanks
-sean
All KX's will have the VIN stamped into the neck. If someone painted over the VIN# it might be hard to see. Start sanding with some 220 grit, and unless someone purposely (STOLEN bike) ground off the numbers, then painted the neck, they will be there.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,976 Posts
Is there a white sticker on the head tube (steering tube)? The year date is on that sticker when sold new.

If someone purchased a new frame, it may not have a VIN.

If there really is no VIN, most likely it is stolen. The engine numbers will be scratched or sanded off also, usually.

KDXGarage - VIN Information

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anything, and the bike was stolen, make sure you get a bill of sale or if possible the title for the bike, if you can't, take acid and put it on the neck. it will bring out where the numbers were. make sure to not leave it there long and whipe it down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paint is definitely stock. no sign of griding of any kind. i bought it in 94, never registered it (i was young and didn't care)

motor is for sure from a 90 or 91. i can tell by the way it looks.

just wondering if it was possible if the frame was not stamped this year, and had a sticker. maybe it was stolen when i bought it and the sticker was removed.

it is out of the DMV's system so reregistering is no problem they said. doing CHP inspection next week. i really just want to make sure that the VIN was not put in some crazy location. i have never heard of that. i am really thinking it must have had a sticker.

and thanks for all the input guys!

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,976 Posts
Stock frames on complete bikes have a VIN on the head tube and a sticker.

What are the engine numbers? Are they ground off too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.