Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a noobie to street bikes, I'm not sure if this noise is normal or not. But, when I upshift, I usuallly hear a "clunking" kind of sound. The shifts are usually smooth and effortless, but there is usually this noise that comes along with it. Clutch lever in, upshift > clunk, clutch lever out..............I'm sure what I'm hearing is just the gear engaging, but the noise is pretty audible, louder sometimes than others, so I wasn't sure if that was normal.

Overall, the bike shifts well, but I have noticed it can sometimes be a little picky such as downshifting more than one gear at idle without releasing the clutch between gears.

Bike is an '04 500R, so nothing is worn out, but maybe something is messed up? I'm guessing my bike shouldn't be too much different than any other in regards to motor/tranny. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well........can you explain what you mean by "clutch timing" then?

Every auto I've ever had has had a manual transmission, so I know exactly how a manual tranny/clutch works and how to properly operate them in an auto, and I am pretty sure I know how one works on a bike also. Operation of the clutch is very smooth, shifts are made firmly, etc. but I still get a clunk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know there are a few other riders in here :wink: , can some folks chime in and say whether or not their bike does the same thing? I am not currently riding with anyone else (is that like being single :lol: ?), so I don't have any other bikes to compare it to.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NOT SURE?

Have a friend test it , or even have a mechanic test it from the dealer. Proper clutching is important to keep it from clunking, as well as throttle at the appropriate time. You may need someone to do a two up on you to show you just how not to make it clunk. I'm serious about this. MY first bike had a clunk and I was driving a truck with three on the tree...still my bike clunked...it was easy and the clunk ended when I had an instructor from MSF show me how to do it right...my problem wasn't not the use of the clutch but the throttle at the appropriate time...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Still though, when talking about proper throttle technique, etc......I understand this. However, the bike clunks when I knock the shift arm into gear, not when I get back on the throttle. So, throttle has nothing to do with in this case, unless I'm supposed to be shifting it while on the gas a little. I know having a few extra RPMs makes shifts easier, both up and down, but is it more of a "requirement" for smooth shifting of a bike to blip the throttle in between shifts?

Example, lets say I'm rolling down the road in 2nd gear and pull in the clutch and let off the throttle completely, as I'm coasting along with the bike at idle, if I then upshift........I get a clunk as soon as I lift the shift arm up into gear (with the clutch still pulled in and the bike at idle).

I'll have the dealer ride it when I get new rubber in a few weeks, but I'm still interested in hearing some "unbiased" opinions of folks on the board.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Shifting on the fly

Absolutely, You just answered the question,,,you do need to add throttle when shifting up, just like shifting down. You will notice it more on a bike than a car/truck because of weight and being in the open. add some throttle and see that it does go away. it will ALWAYS clunk when you go from Neutral to first or even go directly into second from Neutral. Wait for some other people to jump in but you can also look at a few profiles and those who ride alot and find the same response...At least you are concerned and asked about the problem. Happy to have you on the FORUM!!!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
First clunking would be a little more obvious in a new bike.

Second you will get a feeel for shifting the bike, I won't try and describe the actual process since I'm not sure I can, for me it's more a question of feel. Changing gears at certain speed/rpm ranges will eliminate any clunking and as a matter of fact once you get the "feel" you won't even need the clutch for most shifts.

The pressure applied too the shift peg also comes into play, you should apply firm pressure without jerking the lever.

You can try riding on a quiet road, then applying pressure to the shift lever and varying your speed/rpm you will eventually find a combo that'll allow a very smooth gear change without using the cltch, it'll just slip in. Use this combo as a reference for your gear changes in the future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll have to practice shifting with different amounts of throttle etc. and see if I can find a sweet spot.

·
Registered
380 Posts
axledeep said:
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll have to practice shifting with different amounts of throttle etc. and see if I can find a sweet spot.
That's basicly what I had to do... I have specificly driven manual transmission in an auto for most of my life so I thought I would have some advantage in shifting with a motorcycle. It seems to be more about engine rpm and load than anything. I still am trying to tune the clutch engaging still but I try to upshift after I pull in the clutch and just before I snap the throttle completely off. But I'm trying to shift very quickly and smoothly...

I'm sure it's different with all engines/bikes to some degree...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i dunno if its different on the sport bikes but i see alot of kawi cruiser owners
who complain of the same thing and on the bigger bikes it seems short shifting causes the loudest clunks.i've found that kawi motors like to be
revved up a little more than the manual says between gears. my bike did this
till i learned how to shift it. i wind the motor out about 5-7 mph more between
gears and now you can't even hear the shift :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im a klunker, new 250Ninja

yeah, mine klunks too.

Im going to watch the throttle and shifting to see how much it alters my experience with it. I'll try it tonight and post anything I notice!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update: So I've definitely gotten a better feel for shifting, I've pretty much gotten to the point where there is no clunk on upshift....Im shifting while in the friction zone rather than engaging clutch fully and also a bit softer with the upshift.

Downshift is still clunky at times.....maybe I shopuld only be downshiftng at certain RPMS?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts