Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500. Recently replaced front blinker lights. Rode 6 miles, all was good. Then went to ride 2 weeks later and won’t turn over. Key on, pre startup trouble lights are normal. Push start button and only get a click. Put in identical battery that I know is good from another 1500, same result. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500. Recently replaced front blinker lights. Rode 6 miles, all was good. Then went to ride 2 weeks later and won’t turn over. Key on, pre startup trouble lights are normal. Push start button and only get a click. Put in identical battery that I know is good from another 1500, same result. Thoughts?
I do have a Power Commander system that is 15+ yrs old and has never been a problem. Will trouble with it cause problem that I mentioned above?

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are two relays in the system they will click at the same time. One is in the relay box the other is the start solenoid.
Big red cable from the battery goes to the solenoid, the control for it is from the relay box. Make sure you feel the solenoid click and that you have battery voltage on the wire to the starter motor. A bad solenoid may click but not pass voltage through. Good voltage on the wire to the starter is all it should need. If it cranks and doesn't start that is a different problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two relays in the system they will click at the same time. One is in the relay box the other is the start solenoid.
Big red cable from the battery goes to the solenoid, the control for it is from the relay box. Make sure you feel the solenoid click and that you have battery voltage on the wire to the starter motor. A bad solenoid may click but not pass voltage through. Good voltage on the wire to the starter is all it should need. If it cranks and doesn't start that is a different problem.
Fuse for starter relay (30 amp) checked good but relay itself showed 0 volts at outlet with key on and starter button pushed. Relay showed 12.8 volts at inlet. And there was no click. So it looks like I need a new relay. Agreed?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes!!

The start solenoid, main fuse, start fuse assy. went bad on my 13 Versys 650. Same condition as yours. The dealer and most online sellers wanted $$$ for it Found it on Amazon for a lot less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the process of ordering new starter relay. Amazon is in proximity of $10 while Kaw online and dealer is $100. Mostly good reviews for Amazon part (4 stars) but not many reviews. Not sure who makes Kaw parts. Amazon looks like all Chinese. What is experience with Kaw vs Chinese starter relays. I don’t want the magnetic relay to fail in engaged position.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went with the $10 one. I only have a few rides on it as I did it just last year. My OEM failed open after only 5 Years of use so I will gamble on the cheep one.

Thinking again did you hear the start relay in the rely box click. That is the control for the start solenoid You should have 12v on the small wires to the solenoid to energize the solenoid. The start button can get dirty and not make a good connection to give power. Normally when that happens you wouldn't get the click that you said happened in the first post. Just trying to cover everything before you spend $$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts