Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 Nomad that I purchased last year with about 6K miles. I now have over 10k and love this bike. However, it does have a gear whine that I think is getting worse. It may be that my focus has just increased. It is most noticeable in high gear at 50-60 mph and resembles a rear end noise in a car were the ring and pinion have too much lash. The whine is on load/accel and goes away on cost/decel. I do not know or ride with any other Vulcan riders that I can compare with, so I am hoping some of you my be able to give me your input. As is said, I love my bike but may be heading for a divorce! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I do have the extended warranty and have had a mechanic test ride my bike last year but he felt it was normal…? Anyone using synthetic? Would this help? Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep stevie-complaint of some,its seems all of the rear ends whine a little,even my 1600
sounds like an ole 62 chevy truck :lol: but that whine is normal
nomad owners(my brother for one) complain that there is exssesive whine
there is a way to adjust the backlash,gear alignment and shim placment but it is best done
by a kawi tech as it requires special tools-if you have not changed gear oil latley-do that
if its still loud take it it -are you under warranty?
dealers with good techs can fix it and quite it down -i know of 1 fella who's dealer
was not comfortable with repair so they replaced the rear (1500.00bucks)

so if its a concern-take it in and let them hear it and make a judgment -its better to
do it now than to wait :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bikeaholic,

I do appreciate the feedback and I know that some noise is normal.
I think that I will drain and refill with synthetic to see if it makes any difference first, then take it into Kawasaki. I am still under warranty :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts