Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. I am the current owner of a 2001 Kawi ZR7S and will likely be the owner of a 2003 1500 Classic by the end of today. I have ridden the Classic extensively in the past few weeks (borrowing it from the owner) and have realized that I enjoy cruising more than Sport Touring (with the emphasis on sport). Hard riding is enjoyable for the technical aspects of it, but cruising just seems to give me more smiles per mile, thus I am going to buy the Classic and sell my ZR. Now that I've introduced myself, I have a question.

I have seen the hard saddlebag options for the 1500 Classic (2003), including Kawi's own offering, but I would like to know if anyone has tried to mount Nomad bags to a Classic and if it works. Is there any/much modification necessary? I would like to go with the largest bags available and I want them to look like they belong on the bike. If I cant find one I am happy with, I will likely go with the harder/smoother (as opposed to the old fashioned flap type) leather bags out there.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
ok, this one is iffy. you can make anything work, but it depends on how good you want it to look afterwards. if you had a nomad to take parts from then you would be better off. you would really have to add the Nomad's rear frame and dual exhaust to start. i don't have a Classic right next to my Nomad so i can't see close the rest of the frame is but i would bet it would be close. i know you can purchase bags on ebay, but the rear frame assembly would be another story. there are companies out there that make decent bags, but you will be paying for them ! and watch out, some of them are pretty lousy quality. i would suggest parking next to a Nomad and checking to see if the rear frame would bolt right up to yours, and also check to see if the Nomad exhaust would work on the Classic. good luck, congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
When I was at a dealer, looking at the Nomads and Classics, I asked whether I could put the Nomad's hard bags on a 1500 classic. The salesman told me I could. Of course, I haven't tried it yet...

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was told by a dealer that you can not buy Nomad hard bags from Kawasaki. Perhaps you can find some on ebay or something. Tsukayan (I think that is how it is spelled) makes a classic style hard bag with mounting hardware for about 400 bucks. Cruiserline also makes a classic style hardbag but they are about 700 with mounting brackets. I had the cruiserlines and they worked great. Maybe that is another option. Just a thought

DJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to go with aftermarket bags if it is not a direct bolt on or minimal mods to make the Nomad bags fit. I prefer the look of the nomad bags becasue they seem to be deeper (top to bottom) than the aftermarket offerings and look more like they belong. I'll have to find someone local with a Nomad for the comparison.

·
32,545 Posts
if you have the time, money and skill, the nomad bags are probably the best available. just the fact that the other bags are made for single side exhaust makes them more shallow than the nomad bags. on top of that, i personally feel that the curve of the nomad bags is unbeatable. anyways, either way good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nomad bags??

Take an internet ride over to Leatherlyke. they have some nice hard shell bags that look just like leather. And they have a nice removeable hardware setup for them too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Classic + Nomad bags

I've tried a set of FLH bags on mine and it was ok, but didn't look like they belonged there. I am in the process of purchasing a set of used Nomad bags to install. What is needed is an exhaust change over and the brackets for the bags. I made the brackets for the FLH bags and will make a set for these ones too. I had made a custom exhaust and will use it too, but Nomad exhausts come up on EBay quite often. The rear frame sections are the same, I've been making Hidden Hitches for the Classic and Nomad and they use the same hitch.

·
32,545 Posts
Classickawboy said:
I've tried a set of FLH bags on mine and it was ok, but didn't look like they belonged there. I am in the process of purchasing a set of used Nomad bags to install. What is needed is an exhaust change over and the brackets for the bags. I made the brackets for the FLH bags and will make a set for these ones too. I had made a custom exhaust and will use it too, but Nomad exhausts come up on EBay quite often. The rear frame sections are the same, I've been making Hidden Hitches for the Classic and Nomad and they use the same hitch.
i'll agree with you about those bags, i have never really cared for the lines of the Harley bags. the Nomads have a rear frame section that the exhaust and bags mount to. you would be best to take a look someone's Nomad, preferably someone who will take a bag off for you. the bags come of with two bolts, so it is easy enough to do. if i get up to my friend's garage, i will take bigs of mine while it is apart. i would guess that the rear frame should bolt right up to the classic's frame, but that is just a guess. the only thing that you would need for the exhaust would be the two sides of the frame where the mufflers mount. the only mounting points on the exhaust are the two mufflers to the frame and the head pipes to the motor. i have a Cobra Nomad exhaust for sale, but it is not show quality. good luck with your research, i will bring back anything i can find.
david

·
32,545 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nomad bags

The rear frame section of the Nomad is the same as the Classic, the fender is the same, the fender struts on the Nomad are thicker. The bags and brackets will bolt up to the Classic with minimal modifications, if any.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I was going to ask what the differences are between a Nomad and a Classic but then found the info at Ma Kaw's website. Here is the info on the 1500 Classic:

FEATURES
1,470cc OHC, 50-degree V-Twin
- 83 foot-pounds of torque at 3000 rpm
Liquid Cooling
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Includes warning light
- Auxiliary fan keeps things cool, even in traffic
Four Valves per Cylinder
- Compact combustion chamber decreases detonation with today's gasolines
- Boosts low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters
- Keep valves quiet with no adjustment required
Electronic Fuel Injection
- Produces easy starting, smooth running, high performance and reduced exhaust emissions
Dual Plug Digital Ignition
- Microprocessor-controlled timing
- Two spark plugs in each combustion chamber cut detonation for extra durability
Gear-Driven Engine Balancer & Rubber-Mounted Engine
- Counter-rotates at engine speed to cancel vibration
- Allows use of single-pin crankshaft without the heavy vibration
- Engine is rubber-mounted to all but eliminate vibration at all speeds
Five-Speed Transmission
- Five-speed transmission combines great around-town acceleration with relaxed highway cruising
Positive Neutral Finder
- Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily, every time
- A Kawasaki exclusive
Shaft Drive
- Reliable, quiet and low-maintenance
Hydraulic Clutch Release
- Easy to operate and maintain
Large-Diameter Halogen Headlight
- Brighter for the same power usage
Chrome-Plated Wire Spoke Wheels
- Wide front and rear tires on sparkling chrome 16-inch wheels

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: Four-stroke, 50-degree V-Twin, SOHC, 8 valves
Displacement: 1,470cc
Bore x stroke: 102.0 x 90.0mm
Compression ratio: 8.6:1
Cooling: Liquid
Carburetion: Electronic fuel injection
Ignition: Digital
Transmission: Five-speed
Frame: High tensile steel, double cradle
Rake / trail: 32° / 4.8 in.
Suspension type, front: 41mm hydraulic fork
Suspension type, rear: Dual hydraulic shocks
Suspension adjustments, rear: 5-way preload
Wheel travel, front: 5.9 in.
Wheel travel, rear: 3.4 in.
Tire, front: 130/90 x 16
Tire, rear: 150/80 x 16
Brakes, front / rear: Single hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 98.6 in.
Overall width: 39.2 in.
Overall height: 44.9 in.
Ground clearance: 4.9 in.
Seat height: 27.6 in.
Dry weight: 659 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.2 gal.
Colors: Ebony, Metallic Phantom Silver
* Price and specifications subject to change

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Here is the info on the 1600 Nomad:

FEATURES
V-Twin Engine
- Engine displacement increased to 1,552cc for more torque
- Digital Fuel Injection is revised to suit the larger engine’s needs and enhance performance
- Dual mufflers allow more clearance for saddlebags
Liquid Cooling
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Auxiliary fan keeps things cool during all operating conditions
Four Valves per Cylinder
- Boosts low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Hydraulic valve lash adjusters require no maintenance
Gear-driven Engine Balancer
- Counter-rotates at engine speed to cancel vibration
- Allows use of single-pin crankshaft without the heavy vibration
Rubber-mounted Engine
- All but eliminates engine vibration at all speeds
Five-speed Transmission
- Great around-town acceleration with relaxed highway cruising
Positive Neutral Finder
- Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily
Five-gallon Fuel Tank
- Rounded-edge finish for clean, upscale look
- Large capacity for extended touring range
Large, Adjustable Windshield
- Large windshield gives excellent rider and passenger weather protection
- Windshield is adjustable up and down two inches
- Heavy-duty chromed support hardware holds the windshield rock steady
Hard Saddlebags
- Designed for easy packing, these saddlebags carry an amazing amount of gear
- Lockable, side-open design for smooth looks and quick access
- Soft, removable inner bags available as an optional accessory
Passenger Comfort
- New floorboards, standard backrest and thicker seat provide maximum passenger comfort on long rides
More Chrome for 2005
- New chrome engine guards help protect the engine
Triple Disc Brakes
- Dual discs up front for maximum stopping power
- Large, single rear disc because touring bikes carry so much of the load on the rear wheel
Shaft Drive
- Reliable, clean and quiet low-maintenance system
Hydraulic Clutch Release
- Easy to operate, requires virtually no adjustment
Adjustable Control Levers
- Fits variety of rider sizes and styles
Electronic Speedometer
- Eliminates conventional cable-drive system
Tubeless Tires
- Lower operating temperature extends tire life
Air-Adjustable Rear Shocks
- Rebound damping is 4-way adjustable to tailor fit the ride

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: Four-stroke V-twin, SOHC, 8-valve
Displacement: 1,552cc
Bore x stroke: 102.0 x 95.0mm
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Cooling: Liquid
Carburetion: Digital fuel injection with (2) 36mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital
Transmission: Five-speed
Frame: High-tensile steel, double cradle
Rake / trail: 32 degrees / 7.2 in.
Suspension type, front: 43mm hydraulic fork
Suspension type, rear: Dual hydraulic shocks
Suspension adjustments, rear: Air adjustable twin shocks, 4-way rebound damping
Wheel travel, front: 5.9 in.
Wheel travel, rear: 3.9 in.
Tire, front: 150/80 x 16
Tire, rear: 170/70 x 16
Brakes, front / rear: Dual hydraulic 300mm discs / single 300mm disc
Overall length: NA
Overall width: NA
Overall height: NA
Ground clearance: 5.9 in.
Seat height: 28.4 in.
Dry weight: NA
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Wheelbase: 66.5 in.
Colors: Metallic Dark Blue, Ebony/Galaxy Silver
* Price and specifications subject to change

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anything can be done. I mounted Nomad exhaust on my 03 1600 Classic.
Made the bike look better too. Bike seems longer and lower, both sides
are now balanced.

·
32,545 Posts
Paco said:
Anything can be done. I mounted Nomad exhaust on my 03 1600 Classic.
Made the bike look better too. Bike seems longer and lower, both sides
are now balanced.
would like to see that if you can post some pics, must look pretty smooth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts