Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a 01 FI-1500 with a 2 to 1 roadhouse exaust and ride double most of the time. I get between 41 and 46 crusing the back roads. It will drop off to around 36 if you get snappy with the throttle. I keep my fifth wheel camper in Independence and ride around the north shore a lot. I live in Marrero. I bought my bike used in november of 05 from a guy in Bush with 7-K. I now have 29K.

·
johnwayne70726
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother for confirming what i thougt about MPG info. I purchased my bike new in 05 and I thought I use to get about 42 to 46 with the stock exhaust but was not really sure. However, I changed to V&H and a power commander and now get only 32 to 34 mpg. I love the sound and the snappy throttle but this drop in mileage seems to be excessive. Do you have any thoughts? thanks

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you did not change the intake, ditch the Power Commander... it's not needed.

·
johnwayne70726
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich,
Are you saying the throttle response will be the same without the PC??? Do you have any idea if the mileage will increase without the PC?? Thanks

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Rich,
Are you saying the throttle response will be the same without the PC??? Do you have any idea if the mileage will increase without the PC?? Thanks
I have a PCIII and bubs exhaust on my bike - no aftermarket intake yet. It really smoothed out the throttle response on my bike but at the expense of gas mileage. My dad rode my bike before and after and really noticed the change as well - so much so that he wants to put one on his otherwise stock Nomad. I believe the engines are set to run lean from the factory and the PCIII will, in most cases, richen the fuel mixture up.

·
johnwayne70726
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guitar7272,
What kind of mileage do you get with the setup???
Do you have trouble with keeping air in your tires weekly??

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
My '00 Nomad is getting around 40 with a Caddman, TFI controller and V&H Baggers. I saw a slight milage reduction when I went with the intake and fuel controller, until I got it tuned in. Now, it is almost like it was with just the Baggers.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Guitar7272,
What kind of mileage do you get with the setup???
Do you have trouble with keeping air in your tires weekly??
I'm not 100% sure what mileage I get - it's really dependent on the riding I do and we have a lot of stop and go traffic in NJ. I would venture to say on the order of 35mpg.

I usually check the tires pressure every couple of weeks or so and may end up putting at least some air in them. I think about 1 psi per month is normal loss. Also remember that temperature variations will affect the readings -pressure will get higher as the temperature rises and lower as it falls. This is also why they tell you to check the pressure before riding as your tires will warm up with use.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
John... What map are you running? If you are using the Dynojet map for your configuration , mileage will suffer greatly. Your performance is also down, you just do not realize it. There are two choices: Leave the PCIII in and install the -000 map. This will put you back to the stock Kawasaki setings. or... 2. Remove the PCIII. It is not needed with just pipes and both you and your bike will be happier.
I have run all of the Dynojet maps and had a dyno tune but NOTHING works as well as the stock set up for overall performance and economy. I have been running the -000 map for the last 18,000 miles. I will remove the PCIII the next time the tank comes off.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
g...7272 The myth is that the bikes are set up way lean. Not true. The dynojet maps for various pipe configurations SUBTRACTS fuel at the lower throttle positions. The map is one of the things Kawasaki got right. With the very harsh conditions here in the desert, I would have fried my engine by now had that been the case. Fact is that it runs great when the ambient is 115 degrees or 15 degrees.
As for "smoothing out the throttle response", none of the 4 Kawasaki riders here at work have found that to be the case and we are all back to -000. If it works in your particular environment great.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
g...7272 The myth is that the bikes are set up way lean. Not true. The dynojet maps for various pipe configurations SUBTRACTS fuel at the lower throttle positions. The map is one of the things Kawasaki got right. With the very harsh conditions here in the desert, I would have fried my engine by now had that been the case. Fact is that it runs great when the ambient is 115 degrees or 15 degrees.
As for "smoothing out the throttle response", none of the 4 Kawasaki riders here at work have found that to be the case and we are all back to -000. If it works in your particular environment great.
Hmmm I've read fairly frequently that they are setup lean from the factory to increase gas mileage and reduce emissions. Here is my map - unless I'm reading it wrong it's set up to increase the fuel injector duty cycle at lower throttle percentages:

Once I get my air intake I'm planning on having it dynoed so I'll be interested in seeing what the map looks like afterwards.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMHO the PCIII is a total waste of time and money unless you want a Hot Rod or are going to ride the wheels off your bike. The amount of fuel that you now stuff into the motor is not required for the average daily driver! If you run the engine at the RPM's where you really get the full effect of the PCIII you would be speeding all of the time. My 06 Nad pulls 2500 RPM @ 65 MPH and the PCIII only brings the real power on @ around 3500 RPM and up - down low where normal day to day riding you are just pouring extra fuel to the motor that you could do by just twisting the throttle on the stock set up alitttle more. I drag a trailer and I was told I'd need the PCIII so I'd have better power to pull it -and - yes there is more power @ greatly reduced mileage but I discovered when back at stock I get the same mileage with slightly reduced power with trailer BUT when I remove the trailer I don't suck 10 - 12 Mpg less! So, with trailer I get about the same with or without the PCIII but without the trailer I get way way more MPG without PCIII.
Long story short if you want instant grunt at money no object - go with the PCIII - if you want to make it to the next Gas Station don't.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"Need" is a relative term when it comes to aftermarket pipes and fuel processors. My stock Nomad ran well, but suffered from a little pinging and some sluggish response under specific conditions (e.g. going uphill in 3rd at around 45mph and accelerating). There is a certain road near me where I could consistently reproduce the behavior. Several weeks ago, I installed V&H pipes to an otherwise stock system. The bike would idle fine, ran ok, but not quite as well as my stock set up. I then installed a TFI unit, followed the suggested tuning protocol and went for a test ride. The bike did respond more smoothly with the TFI unit than without it. The pinging is gone and the acceleration on my test road is better. My bike doesn't necessarily jump when I roll on the throttle, but I go from 45 to 75 very quickly and super smoothly.

In my case, although the TFI may not have been "needed", it did eliminate the couple of issues I was having with responsiveness. For the investment (about $150), I think it was well worth it.

·
johnwayne70726
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rewindgy, Thanks for the good info -- I'll try to run without the PCIII and see how it will perform. I just can't remember how the bike performed with the V&H pipes and before the installation of the PCIII. What I do remember about pre PCIII with the 002 map -- the mileage was much better. The riding in your part of the world has to rank on a scale of 1 to 10 about a 15. I truly love that part of the North American Continent.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I believe the engines are set to run lean from the factory and the PCIII will, in most cases, richen the fuel mixture up.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
One of the guys here ran his stock 900 and the f/a curve was PERFECT from the factory.

Throttle response improvement is probably the result of an increased accelerator pump "squirt", which of course will negatively impact fuel economy.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
I've always liked the responsiveness of my Nomad after I installed the PCIII with custom map, Baggers, and did the Caddman mod both sides with K&Ns ....but I've absolutely hated the gas mileage (avg ~34). Unfortunately, I made all of those changes while the bike was still in break-in and I never got a good reading for exactly how much mileage I'm losing because of them.

I'm very seriously considering 2 options, 1) reverting the Caddman and running the 000 map or 2) getting another custom map done -$$$- that is configured to totally maximize mpg. At the moment, my preference is the new map ...I just don't know how much that will help since my current map is -supposedly- a middle of the line run between performance and mpg to begin with.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't have a fuel management device and my 01-FI doesn't ping and the throttle response is fine. That's why I run a stock intake other then the air cleaner. I don't need more power at a big sacrafice of mileage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts