Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'06 Nomad
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Int'l Motorcycle Show at the Javits Center in NYC on Sunday. Great Show and I try to go every couple of years to see what I can see.

One stop I had to make was at the Kawi display to talk to the experts about the new radio system. I have to say I am now very enlightened. Not happy, just enlightened.

The controls look very nice and are well intigrated on the left side of the bar. The brackets for the antennas are also nicely done and the wires hidden well. Now for the bad news. As most of us know the main components do mount in the left side bag. It takes up most of the bag from front to rear. But, you can still put some thin items in a saddle bag liner. The components take up about a third of the bag from the inner most part out toward the door. (I hope that makes sense. It does to me but....)

Anyway, here's the really fun news.... THE PRICE!!!! They are out of thier minds!!!

The Premium Audio System is $710.95 That just for the radio. Want the XM? Shell out another $442.95. CB? A mere $576.95. Rider Comm kit - $69.95. Passenger Comm Kit - $159.95. iPod cable - $29.95. Radio Aux cable - $25.95. Radio Splitter cable - $65.95. Grand Total: $1684.60

The guy I spoke to even said the price needs to be re-evaluated. Some of the other details are; you can run speakers mounted to the bar but you've got to add that yourself for more $$. The cable for the headset is supposed to come out from the under the seat.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the J&M system myself. It gives me what I need for a fraction of the price. I just want a CB to talk to the other guys on the rides and a place to plug in my MP3 player.

The show was fantastic, even with that eye opener. Thats what I like about it. They can answer questions the dealer might not know about. I was talking to the HJC helmet guy and found out the Sy-Max helmets are getting a drop down tinted mini shield. It's kinda like the ones offered by Shuburth or Caberg. Nolan has one but theirs is on the outside of the faceshield. Right now HJC just has it on one of the full faced models. The flip front version will be out in a few months.

I can't wait for next year. I plan on hitting it again then maybe I'll take a year or two off. The bikes were absolutely amazing. Even got to talk to Matt Hotch for a few minutes. Nice guy.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
Yikes!

Well...they did say it was a PREMIUM sound system.
Policeman-"How did you wreck your bike!"
Rider- "I got tangled up in the 'Premium Audio System' wires!"

For that amount of money you'd think they would at least make it wireless!

Hummmmm....

No Thank you!

:D
Aif

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
sure am glad that dont fit the 900 so theres no temptation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yikes!

Well...they did say it was a PREMIUM sound system.
Well, that's a lot for just a sound system. I probably have $1,100-$1,200 invested in mine, but that's because it's powered by the Zumo 550 with the XM receiver and it would be a lot more if I had some decent speakers but what I have works pretty darned good. And I don't have any integrated contols. So, taking all that into consideration, it's pricy but not too bad.

It'd be a steal if GPS was included in the package, however. A decent GPS that is.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I bought the Nomad to tour two people on. I want the bags to carry MY stuff, not MaKaws stuff. My Autocom and MP3 player do a mighty fine job of entertaining me and mine. Plus I can run my GPS, phone and a radar detector through it AND run a family radio as well. For a whole lot less than $1,684.00!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts