Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I currently ride a 2002 Honda Sabre 1100. I bought it new 3 years ago and since have added hard bags, windshield, lowers, passenger and driver floorboards and a Corbin dual tour......it is a great bike and I am very happy with it, I ride mostly 2 up with my wife. I've been thinking about a new bike and after checking out almost everything on the market, the Nomad appears to be the perfect bike. I can't imagine buying a new bike without riding it but I can't find a dealer that will allow a test ride so I have a few questions, hopefully some of you can help.
1. My current bike is about 600 lbs. I am concerned about the increased weight of the Nomad ? (I am 6'0" 175lbs, my wife is 5'5" 125lbs).
2. I have heard that the Nomad's floorboards are low and s****e easily. Is this really an issue...I am not an agressive rider but I have s****ed the boards on a friends V-Star Classic 1100....and didn't like it !!
3. Anyone know of anywhere in Florida where I can rent a Nomad for a day ?????
Thanks, Ed D'Angelo Clearwater, Florida

G

·
hi Ed....i have 2004 nomad love it very much,i also ride 2 up,,never scrubed the floor boards ...all i can say its a GREAT bike ,,never rode one before buying ,the look & this site sold me,do not regret a bit,added light bar,back rest for my wife and a vista cruise lock which works very well ...hope to hear u bought a nomad....lets us know what u decided

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Hi Ed,

You can lay your fears of extra weight to rest! I am 5' 7" and weigh 155# and my wife is 5' 7" and 130#. The bike rides great solo or 2 up--never feels like a chore. Hope you end up with one. You won't regret it. :grin:

Scott

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I do not own the Nomad.....but ride the 1500 Classic which I believe is similar in respects to handling...Nomads are setup better? I have to agree with you not needing to worry about the weight of the bike as these bikes are well balanced and slung low to keep center of gravity where it belongs...IMHO. I'd say ride one if you can....but if you cannot....you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice of a bike they really are....if you choose to buy one.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am as excited as a little kid at Christmas. I am picking up my new Nomad tomorrow at noon. I have asked the same question several times before buying the bike and have heard nothing but great things. One guy told me he had riddent the 1600 and the Nomad and actually liked the way the Nomad handled better (somthing to do with rake and narrower handlebars). I am taking them at their word. I just bought a video called Ride Like a Pro 3, and those guys are s****ing the floorboards and highway bars constantly and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I think it's one of those things you get used to.

I let you know about handling the bike for sure after tomorrow. (squeals of delight)
DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Whoa....Good for you centerpunch!!! I can feel your excitement all the way over here! :)

Don't forget pictues. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses....when I sat on the bike at the dealer the center of gravity did feel lower than my Sabre...it actually felt like it was about the same weight....I think that the Sabre might be a little top heavy. I am still going to work on getting the dealer to let me ride one...maybe used, but your input is helpful. DJ, The ride like a pro guy is a cop from here in Clearwater and I have seen his demonstrations many times...talk about handling a big bike...wow...he must go thru a set of floorboards every month !! I think that his own bike is a big Vulcan but I've seen him on Goldwings and Roadkings as well. Interested to hear how you like your new Nomad...congratualtions.
ED

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

simple solution - buy a 1600 classic :p :p
the white ones are the fastest :wink:

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
bikeaholic said:
simple solution - buy a 1600 classic :p :p
the white ones are the fastest :wink:
Nuh-uh! Black (or what ever they call it) Nomads are the fastest! :twisted:
Isn't that right Ispeed77? ;-)

Scott

G

·
centerpunch said:
I am as excited as a little kid at Christmas. I am picking up my new Nomad tomorrow at noon. I have asked the same question several times before buying the bike and have heard nothing but great things. One guy told me he had riddent the 1600 and the Nomad and actually liked the way the Nomad handled better (somthing to do with rake and narrower handlebars). I am taking them at their word. I just bought a video called Ride Like a Pro 3, and those guys are s****ing the floorboards and highway bars constantly and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I think it's one of those things you get used to.

I let you know about handling the bike for sure after tomorrow. (squeals of delight)
DJ
centerpunch
i remember when i got my bike ,talking about excited wow,even now when go in my garage and see my bike i can't wait to ride it again,but here in montreal we are still in deep winter and can't ride until about mid april if we are lucky

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
Scotty Luv said:
Nuh-uh! Black (or what ever they call it) Nomads are the fastest! :twisted:
Isn't that right Ispeed77? ;-)

Scott
that's right Scott, none faster !!!!!

Ed
have no fear about purchasing the Nomad. i too am not a large guy at 5'8" 170lbs and my wife at 5'7" 130lbs is in the same boat. i am very comfortable on this bike with or without her. i came from a Honda Magna that weighed 505 lbs dry and the Nomad outhandles the Magna in every way. even the slow speed maneuvering isn't a problem.
now, the floorboards is another issue. this really depends on how you ride. when i had the Magna, i s****ed the pegs almost every time i rode, and it wasn't a problem. now, s****ing a floorboard feels a little different. the first time i found out was in an emergency situation and the rear end actually kicked to the side. that being said, i have probably only s****ed the board 3 or 4 times since then in over 8000 miles, and i ride very aggressively. i love to lean into the corners and the Nomad will let you go pretty far. basically, get a feel for where you can take the bike and then it will be like second nature to you. good luck getting a test ride, but if you don't, still feel confident in purchasing one, you will NOT be disappointed.
David

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I'd say that the nomad would be a fine fit, I've not ridden on one but I have thrown my leg over a few in the showrooms and tried to stand them up, they don't feel all that bulky in that environment. I acutally would'nt mind having one, if i didn't love my classic so much

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ok you two-are we gonna have to line them up? :razz:

i'll spot you 1 bike length from a dig :wink:

·
32,545 Posts
bikeaholic said:

well....i am thinking about Daytona sometime soon, i guess we might just have to do that ! hehehe
oh, and you can keep that one bike length ;-)

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
bikeaholic said:

ispeed77 said:
well....i am thinking about Daytona sometime soon, i guess we might just have to do that ! hehehe
oh, and you can keep that one bike length
Ahhhh...nothing like a little friendly competition. :razz:

See you guys at the finish line. :grin:

Scott

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yea, a race between 2 giant slugs :grin:
only thing missing is the soap trail :grin:

but that's ok,its still fun to drag race(at the strip) these big boys :twisted:
even if the 1/4 takes all day :grin:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
ok, what are the stakes in this little trial of torque?

·
32,545 Posts
oh, now we're getting into wagers, i like it. what do you think Bike, wanna buy me something new for the Nomad when you lose !

wow, that's not like me to be that wise(tried another word, but it was edited !), oh well, its already been typed !

1 - 20 of 41 Posts