Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I'd drop a line to introduce myself. I'm Mike, and I just became the "proud" new owner of an '88 EX250f. It was laid down at some point, so the fairings are trashed, the handlebars are bent, it sat in a barn for so long that rats took up haven inside the tailsection of it, and the original (last registered) owner is nowhere to be found for the title. He had supposedly laid it down and broke his leg, and never rode it again. Sounds like a great start, eh? :-? On the bright side, it only shows 4,900 miles on the odometer, and the guy I got it from said the engine isn't locked up, as he put a fresh set of plugs in it and a new battery and it turned over, but it just wouldn't start, so I guess there's some hope for it. My original intent was to get it running and yank the engine to put it on something else (like a go-cart or something else insane if I thought of it), but looking it over, it doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape if the engine's solid. The frame and forks are straight, so if the engine's good, I may put a little money into it and have chick-magnet bike (OK-maybe not a chick-magnet, but something that runs decent and gets good gas mileage :grin: ). Anyway, I'll shut the trap now! Have a good one! :grin:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

4900 miles is a catch and you'll find lots of extra parts on the internet. Your gonna need to tear apart your carbs and clean them up, but if all is well afterwards with new gas and oil she may fire up!

Figure on your tires being dry rot and the fork seals maybe gone???

You should be able to get it going for less then a couple hundred bucks...

Good luck and post any questions you have.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome pos- glad to have you aboard :wink:

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Ole P.O.S. ,

Welcome to the forum. Show us a pic of you and your project on the Show off your Ride Thread. I wouldn't tear out the engine just yet.....1Adam12 is right about the carbs....A good cleaning of the carbs and the gas tank and she will probably fire up.....Another classic ressurected from the junk pile :)

Heather

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam hit the nail on the head! Dry rotted tires and bad fork seals :grin: I also discovered where the previous residents of the tail section (rats) ate all the insulation off of the taillight harness. Guess I'll be fixing that before a battery goes in! :-? I figured on the carbs needing to be rebuilt, but the tank is history. It's there, but the lock cylinder is FUBAR'd, the tank has a little rust inside, and it's got a nice dent in it-??on the top?? (still trying to figure out how that happened). I'll try and get a pic of it up in a few days. Even though, I probably won't do anything to it, except maybe try to get it to run, before spring time. 'Til then, I've got loads of other projects to try and finish ('65 Mustang resto-mod and a '76 Jeep CJ-7 trail rig just to name the 2 major ones). Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can WD40 the tank lock if it is rusted or major hard to turn it and it should loosen up. As far as the rust in the tank goes you can get Yamaha's tank cleaner $15. It is acid based and has a neutralizer. Add water and let it work. There is also a product called Kreem that will work and goes an extra step and seals the tank as well for $30.

Get a small fuel filter in the meantime and with rust in the tank I am sure its in the carbs too. Take them off and clean. Too bad about the squatters in the bike. Hope its not too much of a headache with the wires.

Good luck and post questions as you have them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts